Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

I’ve never used jackfruit. I tried it once and did not like it.
Feel free to merge away. 🙂 I’m happy to have this discussion in the foolproof seitan thread.
I dislike jackfruit too, but find it tasteless and a great texture for vwg seitan.
The brisket I made from Gaz used it and so do my ribz
I make these often--

Did you have the wtf seitan yet?

Well success or not, I’m having fun eating it. I put it in the air fryer and it helped firm it up a bit. It’s very tasty so I’ll have no problem eating it. I just wanted the “shredding” result. It’s definitely not that.
I think I need to try the VWG mixed with chickpea flour. And/or tofu. That seems to be the trick for it not to come out sponges/doughy. It won’t shred either but should be more dense.
I’m going to try WTF one more time, but this time I’ll not make the dough as soft initially. I’ll try for a drier dough by using more flour/less water.
This is the best of the best for vwg IMO- it is totally shreddy, even after being chilled. It is quite fussy though. I used my IP on the slow cook med. and used my Kitchen Aide with the dough hook. So, yeah it's pretty "kneady"

I've been on a seitan facebook and there's debate on whether to soak, or not soak, the initial dough ball for wtf. the only concensus is that it needs to be well hydrated. I've done it both ways and found no difference

Reactions: KLS52
This amazes me. Warning...if raw meat grosses you out don’t watch. This is crazy realistic to me...she uses red food color. Looks like blood and guts imo. 😮
I so want to try it! It looks like she bakes it twice in the oven.

Good to know that you soak the dough. I wasn’t sure if maybe that was part of the problem as some say not to soak. Can’t wait to hear about the finished product.
Gaaah so far it's an abject failure. When I went to rinse it, it pretty much disintegrated. I don't have much left, so I hope I can salvage something out of it. I'm guessing I didn't knead it enough initially. I will try it again, though. I really want it to work. It's kind of a soupy mess, lol.

• Sad
That's the one!

What kind of flour? kneading is another thing most say you don't need to do, just form a cohesive dough and let it rest. My first couple washed flours were like that--I used cheap low protein flour. I then got a nylon nut milk bag and put the dough in there to wash. That salvaged the gluten!
Good to know. I used Gold Medal all-purpose flour. I'm steaming what I salvaged, so hopefully I will get a couple of servings from it. :D

Last edited:
Yep! That was my first try- all purpose Gold Medal. I got a slider size patty from either 4 cups flour
I stopped washing it, so it wouldn't all disappear, so I have maybe three servings. It was very doughy, and not very flavorful despite the addition of spices. I have ground it all up and I'm going to make tacos or add it to a spaghetti dish. At least it's edible!

Maybe it is the flour? I used King Arthur bread flour. It washed beautifully. I almost wanted to do it again today lol.
Hmm, maybe I will try the bread flour. I never buy that. Is it more expensive than regular flour?

The stop n shop brand is 2.99 compared to 2.19 for regular.
I did pay more for the King Arthur. I bought both because I can’t trust that they will substitute if one is out of stock. I didn’t want to end up with none. So it was safer ordering two different brands. Of course when I do that I end up with both. But I’ll definitely use it now. I think I even got the urge to make bread!
That's not awful. I will try it with the bread flour.

I stopped washing it, so it wouldn't all disappear, so I have maybe three servings. It was very doughy, and not very flavorful despite the addition of spices. I have ground it all up and I'm going to make tacos or add it to a spaghetti dish. At least it's edible!

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always interesting to experiment with different methods for making seitan. I'm tempted to add jackfruit to my next batch, however, I cannot buy it over here so am saving my two tins to make pulled jf.

I cannot watch a video with a recipe that is longer than 5 minutes (no patience) so haven't watched any of those you have mentioned. What's the difference with these techniques compared to a standard seitan recipe ? I was also wondering about texture and taste ? I find that the perfect texture is made with wheat gluten/chickpea flour and I always use the simmering method.

I'm very eager to hear about this new method....:cool:

This amazes me. Warning...if raw meat grosses you out don’t watch. This is crazy realistic to me...she uses red food color. Looks like blood and guts imo. 😮
I so want to try it! It looks like she bakes it twice in the oven.

What is the method used? I sometimes add tomato puree when making dark seitan. It doesn't change the texture but the deeper colour
makes a different kind of seitan and is delicious when making certain types of stews.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always interesting to experiment with different methods for making seitan. I'm tempted to add jackfruit to my next batch, however, I cannot buy it over here so am saving my two tins to make pulled jf.

I cannot watch a video with a recipe that is longer than 5 minutes (no patience) so haven't watched any of those you have mentioned. What's the difference with these techniques compared to a standard seitan recipe ? I was also wondering about texture and taste ? I find that the perfect texture is made with wheat gluten/chickpea flour and I always use the simmering method.

I'm very eager to hear about this new method....:cool:
Do mean the difference between WTF (wash the flour) and VWG (vital wheat gluten)?
Nevermind as I see you posted a link to wash the flour.
I know what you mean about watching videos. I find them hard to watch but I can easily fast forward from my phone so I usually go back and forth to the parts I need to see lol.

Reactions: shyvas
In my defense the cats just woke me from a deep sleep. At 4:30 am. I haven’t even gotten out of bed yet. There’s an Italian word but I could use to describe my state of mind but can’t spell it lol.

Nice job on the thread merging. Someone was very busy lol.

The rest of my photos. After the air fryer...

E7D401F6-5DCA-4ED8-BA99-D7ECE6E3E6BA.jpeg

D49FA174-E5CA-47A3-9A93-8B4B7F20AE4A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: shyvas