Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

Thank you for the kind compliment. My food doesn't look half as good as yours. :D

It's good to know that you make your own sauces. They are always so much tastier and cheaper than bottled ones. I'm always amazed by consumers buying ready made sauces and dressings.

I couldn't live without seitan and make it to my liking. I do find that the simmered method makes a moist but with quite a firm texture. I really wold like to make a roast one though.
<3 I agree on sauces and dressings. I always make my own these days. I can't even take bottled dressings anymore. Homemade tastes so much better. I also agree on seitan. I so love it.

<3 I agree on sauces and dressings. I always make my own these days. I can't even take bottled dressings anymore. Homemade tastes so much better. I also agree on seitan. I so love it.

Agree. I don't know why so many people find them tasty as they contain thickeners and sugar.:rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I’m finally doing it...
I’m making WTF seitan. I’m so excited! There is controversy as to the best way to do it but I watched a bunch of videos...to knead or not to knead...to soak or not to soak...to let rest or not to let rest.
I decided to knead fir five minutes and I’m letting it rest covered in water. After a 2-3 hours I will begin the wash process. Then let rest again. Then I will braid and knot it, sear in a fry pan and simmer. I’m going to try and document each phase with photos.
485CA5E8-E253-4F82-8E67-A97D31D6E752.jpeg

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I believe the brisket is with VWG and chickpea flour. I have to go back and check the YouTube video. So actually I don’t need to wait to see if my WTF method is successful.

I believe the brisket is with VWG and chickpea flour. I have to go back and check the YouTube video. So actually I don’t need to wait to see if my WTF method is successful.
I made this one with vwg and it was incredible, but so fussy!

Actually more fuss than wtf! 🙄

Do you have a higher protein flour like bread flour? When I did it I used cheap reg flour, but still worked fine, just not as much yield

Reactions: KLS52
The dough was way too soft. I seared it then simmered on a really low heat. I think it’s going to be very bread-y. ☹️
I did taste a small piece. The flavor is good so I’m sure I’ll figure out something. Maybe I’ll try it in the air fryer. And I’ll stir fry some. It made a decent amount. I used half of a five pound bag of flour. There’s at least 5-6 meals worth I think.
I will definitely do it again. I really loved this method. Something so relaxing about the washing part. I’ll try it without soaking it in the water.
Oh yeah...I used the food processor to incorporate the spices. Very easy.

Reactions: Emma JC
I forgot to take a picture after it was seared. I’ll take a photo tomorrow of the finished product.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I’m pretty boring when it comes to seasoning. I just did garlic, onion, black pepper, smoked paprika and chick’n flavored bouillon.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I’m pretty boring when it comes to seasoning. I just did garlic, onion, black pepper, smoked paprika and chick’n flavored bouillon.
Sounds good to me! You got a new yield. I used about 6 or 8 cups flour of low protein Aldi brand and only got about half!
I have a bag of bread flour I'll try next weekend

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
The dough was way too soft. I seared it then simmered on a really low heat. I think it’s going to be very bread-y. ☹️
I did taste a small piece. The flavor is good so I’m sure I’ll figure out something. Maybe I’ll try it in the air fryer. And I’ll stir fry some. It made a decent amount. I used half of a five pound bag of flour. There’s at least 5-6 meals worth I think.
I will definitely do it again. I really loved this method. Something so relaxing about the washing part. I’ll try it without soaking it in the water.
Oh yeah...I used the food processor to incorporate the spices. Very easy.

That's interesting to read. Is it the first time that you've made seitan? Did you make the same recipe using jackfruit?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to merge the posts in the Foolproof Seitan Recipe thread ?

It's always useful to share different techniques and recipes when people are in need of tips and advise.

There's nothing better than seitan when you require plant based protein for meals. :cool:

Reactions: KLS52
I’ve never used jackfruit. I tried it once and did not like it.
Feel free to merge away. 🙂 I’m happy to have this discussion in the foolproof seitan thread.

I’ve never used jackfruit. I tried it once and did not like it.
Feel free to merge away. 🙂 I’m happy to have this discussion in the foolproof seitan thread.

I see. I really like jackfruit but sadly can't buy it in the supermarkets or even the organic shop. I do have 2 tins that I bought from H&B.

I will merge the discussion as it'll be easier for both you and other members to find.....:innocent:

Let us know if you like the end result.

I forgot to take a picture after it was seared. I’ll take a photo tomorrow of the finished product.
That's awesome that you made it! I'm actually soaking my dough right now. I'm trying that drumstick recipe, but I'm only doing half of it. I don't need 16 drumsticks, lol. I will have to adjust the seasonings for half. I might not eat these until 9 tonight, but I have been waiting for a non-busy day to make them, and I haven't had one, so I just said the heck with it, I'm doing it!

Oh, and I have made zucchini cakes while the dough has been soaking. I'm using up my frozen zucchini. I'm going to make zucchini chocolate chip banana muffins next.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
That's awesome that you made it! I'm actually soaking my dough right now. I'm trying that drumstick recipe, but I'm only doing half of it. I don't need 16 drumsticks, lol. I will have to adjust the seasonings for half. I might not eat these until 9 tonight, but I have been waiting for a non-busy day to make them, and I haven't had one, so I just said the heck with it, I'm doing it!

Oh, and I have made zucchini cakes while the dough has been soaking. I'm using up my frozen zucchini. I'm going to make zucchini chocolate chip banana muffins next.
Good to know that you soak the dough. I wasn’t sure if maybe that was part of the problem as some say not to soak. Can’t wait to hear about the finished product.

Well success or not, I’m having fun eating it. I put it in the air fryer and it helped firm it up a bit. It’s very tasty so I’ll have no problem eating it. I just wanted the “shredding” result. It’s definitely not that.
I think I need to try the VWG mixed with chickpea flour. And/or tofu. That seems to be the trick for it not to come out sponges/doughy. It won’t shred either but should be more dense.
I’m going to try WTF one more time, but this time I’ll not make the dough as soft initially. I’ll try for a drier dough by using more flour/less water.

Reactions: PTree15