Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

Shvas, that looks great. Do you bake or simmer your seitan (forgive me if you've already said, but I can't remember, lol)?

Shvas, that looks great. Do you bake or simmer your seitan (forgive me if you've already said, but I can't remember, lol)?

I always simmer it and leave it in it's cooking stock for another 20-30 minutes. I'm going to try the baking method however, it's mainly due to the cost of using an oven that puts me off.:p

I always simmer it and leave it in it's cooking stock for another 20-30 minutes. I'm going to try the baking method however, it's mainly due to the cost of using an oven that puts me off.:p
Thank you. I usually simmer, too, though the baking method intrigues me.

There used to be this recipe for baked seitan online and I can't find it now - it was quite good. I normally just follow the basic Seitan recipe from Veganomicon.

Okay I found the recipe. I cannot find the original posting but I did find several reposts, so I'll just cut and paste it here. I've made this several times and I liked it. It is more dense than boiled seitan.

Seitan and the Great Becoming
I decided boiling seitan was just wrong, so after a few tries I decided to make my own recipe for it (a composite of a few of others, actually, but tweaked to my liking... based mostly on a recipe from another website):

The Recipe O' Greatness:

Ingredients:
1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
1/8 tsp allspice
2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

Nutritional Info[/b]
The entire log has:
1134 calories
32g fat
63g carbs
158g protein

Reactions: PTree15
Oh has anyone else made seitan by steaming it? The cookbook Vegan Caribbean has a recipe for vegan "ham" which is seitan seasoned with pineapple juice and cloves, then wrapped in foil and steamed. It is suuuuper good.

Reactions: Poppy
Oh has anyone else made seitan by steaming it? The cookbook Vegan Caribbean has a recipe for vegan "ham" which is seitan seasoned with pineapple juice and cloves, then wrapped in foil and steamed. It is suuuuper good.

I made that a few times. It was pretty good.

I wonder if I can adapt recipes for the crockpot. Put it in, go to work and it be done when I get home.

I now make a batch of seitan on a weekly basis. I have found a recipe that suits my taste buds. I also find that the texture is just right ; not to rubbery and it is nice and moist.

I made that a few times. It was pretty good.

I wonder if I can adapt recipes for the crockpot. Put it in, go to work and it be done when I get home.

Have you made it in the slow cooker/crockpot ? I was wondering how it came out.

I'm going to make another batch today. I usually use the simmering method because it works out cheaper than using the oven.

I'm forever experimenting as I make a batch of seitan every week. I actually find that it tastes far better if you limit the amount of spices and herbs. I have also omitted garlic and I must say that the end result if far better.

I also find that it is important to prepare a tasty (not too salty) stock and simmer the seitan.

Reactions: KLS52
I just made a spicy beet seitan.... If I'm not mistaken I got this recipe from something @Mel either shared or liked on Facebook lol... It's actually pretty tasty :)

IMG_0569.JPG

Reactions: KLS52
I just crumbled up a couple slices and put it in spaghetti... Absolutely perfect for something like that

Reactions: ledboots
Heck yes, it's very good!
Holiday Ham Recipe from Caribbean Vegan
Never had the 'bitters' but that's one recipe I've made as written, and worth the steaming/baking!

Reactions: Katrina
Very cool @Jeremy ! Mary's Test Kitchen is mary from here and VB. I liked and saved it in my FB saved posts to make it later. Glad it turned out good. I plan on making it soon!

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52