Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

It's not as good as Shyvas's shamefully sexy pic above, but I had a bash at some seitan facon. The texture is good, but the smokey flavour I aimed for didn't come through. I also should have upped the salt a bit, maybe not as much as the whopping 2-3% in pig bacon. I'd call this a partial success and I'll make it again with improvements.

The pink layers are flavoured with tomato/paprika/black pepper and the white layers nooch/mustard.

I barely kneaded it, then wrapped it in aluminium foil, then cling film, and boiled it for an hour. Then it's good to slice thinly and fry. Freezes nicely too.

View attachment 27810

Looks good. The pic isn't mine but from the Seitan Appreciation Society.

It's not as good as Shyvas's shamefully sexy pic above, but I had a bash at some seitan facon. The texture is good, but the smokey flavour I aimed for didn't come through. I also should have upped the salt a bit, maybe not as much as the whopping 2-3% in pig bacon. I'd call this a partial success and I'll make it again with improvements.

The pink layers are flavoured with tomato/paprika/black pepper and the white layers nooch/mustard.

I barely kneaded it, then wrapped it in aluminium foil, then cling film, and boiled it for an hour. Then it's good to slice thinly and fry. Freezes nicely too.

View attachment 27810
That's very impressive!

Seitan loaf

1 packet onion soup/dip mix
1/2 cup oats
a can of drained rinsed jackfruit,pulsed in food processor to flake
1.5 cup water to soften above
several crushed saltines
1/2 small onion minced
1 Tbls poultry seasoning
2 teas vegan worcheshire
mix in 2 cups vwg
fill an oiled loaf pan and top with ketchup. Cover w foil and bake at 350 F for 1 3/4 to 2 hours
Next time I;ll add no beef Better than Boullion, I was afraid it would be too salty with the soup mix