Health Issues Foods to fight a cold

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any foods to fight a cold?
I'm at the start of one now with dripping nose, sore lips and a headache. I'm sure the sore itchy throat and blocked nose will come soon enough.
I'd rather avoid painkillers and decongestants...any home remedies are welcome? Thanks xxx

If I start to feel ill, I load up on garlic. More garlic than you can imagine. Raw is good, but any way you can get it in you.

If I have a sore throat, I prepare a mixture of fresh lemon juice, fresh ginger and hot water. You can sweeten as you like.

I haven't had a cold/flu in 3 or 4 years, though.

I also make a soup - with thai chillies, fresh ginger, plenty of garlic, lime juice, keffir lime leaves, lemon grass, celery, carrots, onions, baby corn, peas, water chestnuts, young coconut and a clear vegetable (or non-chicken) broth. Add veggies as you like, just keep it with thai type seasonings. Really clears you out and nourishes you.

Foodwise, vitamin c- and zinc-containing foods help bolster the immune system. A supplement of echinacea taken early in the illness can help, too. Some echinacea supplements have goldenseal as well, which can help with nasal things.

Hope you feel better!

It's so strange because I haven't had a cold for so long. I had mexican on Tuesday which was spicy. Last night I had sunflower seed, lentil and veg stuffed roasted peppers and garlic mash. Iv had soup for lunch the past two days. Take my vegan multivitamin each day. Drink plenty of water. This sucks lol xxx

I second the garlic.

When I get sick (cold/flu), I've gotten the best results from making myself a huge pot of garlic and onion broth. I'll have that with noodles sometimes. It's delicious and it relieves stuffiness and makes me feel almost normal. Use more garlic than you think you can stand. I'll put an entire bulb (I mean bulb not clove!) through a garlic press and right into the boiling veggie broth so as not to waste any of the juice, then a few slices of onion, and a bit of ginger too. Then, I'll add some minced raw scallions as well.

I didnt know this for years and did the opposite, but warm drinks are better on a sore throat than a cold one. when someone told me this it was enlightening haha. also theyre horrible to do but irrigating your sinuses (flushing them out) can really improve stuffiness.

i find that when at the early stages, overdosing on vitamin c seems to help too.

Reactions: ledboots
I make something like a vegan pho. Tofu, miso, lots of veggies, ginger, garlic, noodles, pickled jalapenos, bean sprouts and I put lots of hot sauce in mine. So very tasty.
Miso is really good.Even just a cup of hot water with some miso stirred in makes me feel some what better.I like to add veggies though when I have time.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Not had a cold since I cut out all dairy products from my diet.

Just double checked with Anne 'they used to call me the human snot machine' Chovie and she hasn't had one since she cut out the dairy either.

Its hard to cut out dairy products when your budget and only accessed too some stuff. Its not just dairy products that causes colds and stuff , some is done by wheat and alike. Plus Virus , mine is from the A/C most of the summer...Changing of the weather.

You need plenty of fluids i.e. hot lemon tea, soups and plenty of rest.

Rest is so important. Not everybody can afford to take time off/out and rest when they have a cold, but if you can, you'll get better much quicker in my experience. Friends and family that just keep going the same as normal with colds seem to keep them much longer.

Chilli/spicy food can help clear out a blocked nose, and I've always heard spicy food is anti-bacterial and so can help with infected throat/etc but I don't know how scientifically proven that is :p

Fruit and veg high in vitamin C are always said to be good for a cold.

As for the dairy thing... I haven't eaten dairy in seven years, and I've had about the same amount of colds in the last 7 years as the years prior to it.

Reactions: thefadedone
My dad just posted on his facebook that he is going to urgent doctor care this afternoon, he has a a very bad cough and sore throat and all, so i think something is going around.

Sometimes, despite all your best efforts, you end up with a cold anyway. If you come into contact with someone who's sick and is contagious (whether you're aware of it or not), that's it. You're down for the count. :sigh:
Yup. Sometimes it just happens.

But: Wash your hands well, everyone. When you awake, before and after eating, after using the bathroom, before you touch your face, before preparing food, etc., and you will prevent most viruses. :)