Food that works for Veg & Omni family

Lala-gabor

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I have 1 step daughter who has just turned vegan, another who is vegetarian, mine and my husband's own 4 year old who eats veg but is very much on the carnivorous scale (not such a problem as she eats veg) but she won't eat food that is "mixed up" which pretty much rules out most typically vegetarian/vegan things. Up until the whole vegan thing pizza was a sure fire winner that everyone would eat, but now even that is off the table.

My husband made pasta and tomato sauce so much for the older girls when they were little that I can't even face the thought of that now.

The only things I can think of for us all to eat are
* beans on toast,
* jacket potatoes with beans/salad/meat.
* fish/veggie fingers and chips

Can anyone suggest anything that isn't "mixed up" and that can accommodate all of us?

My 12 year old step daughter has just turned vegan. Her maternal family are life long vegetarians. Step daughter no. 2 is vegetarian and then mine and my husband's 4 year old eats meat but won't eat anything that's "mixed" which pretty much rules out most of your typical vegan/vegetarian meals for children. Up until the whole vegan thing, pizza was a good fallback meal, but now even that is out the window. My husband made pasta and tomato sauce so often when the older girls were little that I can't face that any more. I also don't like quorn unless the taste is totally disguised, like in curry or satay (which my daughter won't eat because it's "mixed")

The only meals I can think of for all of us are

* beans on toast
* jacket poatoes with baked beans/salad/meat
* fish/veggie fingers and chips

Can anyone recommend any meals which aren't "mixed" (or can be easily not mixed)? Having different items for vegan/veggie/omni people is fine so long as it's a simple substitution, but I don't want to have to cook different meals.
Or just simple food that your average, picky 4 year old will eat. (Would love her to be one of those 4 year olds that eat curry, olives etc with us and not just at nursery, but that's not going to happen today).

Also if anyone has any advice for how to handle a mixed family. One good piece of advice I heard was don't make food for x, food for y, just put the food on the table and let people choose what they want.

Reactions: David3
Never having had children I don’t really have any advice to help unfortunately. One thing that I thought of though is that there are lots of possible meals with beans or lentils other than what you mentioned. Perhaps try looking through our recipe forum and look online for recipes from Vegan YouTubers etc. Tofu and seitan are also great protein sources other than quorn.

When my son was little he wouldn't eat food that touched other food 🙄
Well seasoned beans are good on their own, I sometimes like to dry fry them with spices. Or how about bean burgers?
Baked marinated tofu. Mashed seasoned pintos next to rice and some veggie. A seitan roast.

Tofu- sauteed or marinated and baked
Seitan--roasts, sausage or burgers
seasoned beans

How much do you like to cook?

This is a good opportunity for the kids to learn to arrange simple meals for themselves. That way, you don't have to make 2 or 3 separate meals.

If you keep easy, pre-cooked or packaged veg staples in the refrigerator, then it's easy for people to quickly make meals:

* Hummus
* Small potatoes (already boiled)
* Whole meal bread, pita, or naan
* Nut butters
* Beans or lentils (already boiled)
* Canned veg chili
* Sweet-tasting raw vegetables, like jicama or carrots
* Pre-washed salad greens
* Pre-packaged veg meats - burgers, sausages. These are already cooked - they can be eaten right out of the package.
* Condiments: Mustard, ketchup, chili sauce
* Salad dressing
* Brown rice (already boiled)
* Instant oatmeal
* Whole meal noodles (already boiled)

Last edited: