Food for Wild Animals

JacobEdward

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I try to share as much food as I can with all of the wild animals I come into contact with but of course there are so many that I run out of food fairly quickly (rice is king btw), I'm curious if there's any budget from any level of government for food for wild animals, surely there are some type of emergency welfare laws about not letting animals starve to death... I would do this all day long if they paid me anything or even just gave me the food to give...

Reactions: shyvas
Where are you feeding these animals? What kind of animals?
It's not ok for wild animals to become dependent on humans for food
Human food is not part of their diet
They lose their natural fear
The balance of predators and prey can be skewed
There are all kinds of good reasons these laws are on the books, but I do agree some go too far
In my neighborhood we have many deer, raccoons, possums, skunks, squirrels and rabbits, and a compost pile is the easiest way to get around the law,but that is with things like apples, and produce. They eat all the plants regardless!
I don't think any cooked food is ever ok

Reactions: Lou
My mil feeds wildlife. They are frequently"invaded" by animals looking for more food. Really not a good idea.
So the problem with feeding hungry animals is that there are hungry animals?

Its a brutal existence to not have food and we have so much... this is unbelievable shortsightedness by vegans

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Where are you feeding these animals? What kind of animals?
Seagulls, crows, squirrels, raccoons, etc. Forest, marina, etc. Seagulls are sorta everywhere downtown so just whenever they show up
It's not ok for wild animals to become dependent on humans for food
Why couldn't it be ok? We could feed them all if we wanted, we dont have to live in such a sociopathic world
Human food is not part of their diet
Dogma
They lose their natural fear
That's simply not true, I've been doing this for years, they wont get that close to me
The balance of predators and prey can be skewed
Again, we dont have to live in that world and why is that your responsibility anyways
There are all kinds of good reasons these laws are on the books, but I do agree some go too far
Sociopathic reasons because they never wanted to give them anything anyways
In my neighborhood we have many deer, raccoons, possums, skunks, squirrels and rabbits, and a compost pile is the easiest way to get around the law,but that is with things like apples, and produce. They eat all the plants regardless!
They are starving :-(
I don't think any cooked food is ever ok
it has the most calories and billions of people eat it every day... $1 of rice and 10 squirrels wont go to bed starving tonight...

I leave scraps for the local wildlife that live in the shrub land. I also feed pigeons and other birds.

My late mum used to feed a seagull which she named Georgie and he would wait on the roof of her house every single day at 6 pm. If dinner was late he would make a noise and peek into the window.:D
She would also leave out leftovers for the raccoons and quite a few of them would come in the early evening.

As of late we have a bunch of seagulls that have set up home in the neighbourhood. It's quite strange as we are 30 kms north of the sea. They also come and feed on the food that the cat lady leaves out for the cats. It's funny as the magpies (they behave like thugs at times!) used to chase away the doves and now they wait in hiding on tree branches until the gulls have their feed.

The cat lady feeds 15 homeless cats and it costs her over € 300/month for their food. I often wonder what will happen when she is no longer alive as she is in her 70's.
She often gets verbal abuse and a woman often insults her in a very vulgar manner. She also drives very fast and in a reckless manner hoping to run a cat over.:dizzy:

Reactions: JacobEdward
We could feed them all if we wanted, we dont have to live in such a sociopathic world

Sociopathic reasons
because they never wanted to give them anything anyways

I wouldn't say that. I think it's more due to the fact that laws are made by technocrates and are overly strict as they don't take into account all the factors.
It would be far too complicated for both the council/government to have legislation for every single case.

I wouldn't say that. I think it's more due to the fact that laws are made by technocrates and are overly strict as they don't take into account all the factors.
It would be far too complicated for both the council/government to have legislation for every single case.
they dont need to legislate every case to not be sociopathic

I used to feed the deer in my yard in the winter until I learned about this:
“The whitetail rumen, or stomach, is full of microorganisms that help digest food, but it takes them at least a week to adjust to each new food type taken in. If those microorganisms can’t adapt by taking in small amounts over a period of time, the result is such a shock to the system it can kill deer pretty quickly.”
I sounds like if you were feeding the corn in the summer and continued through the winter, it might be ok. But I just stopped because I didn’t want to take any chances on causing more harm than good.

I used to feed the deer in my yard in the winter until I learned about this:
“The whitetail rumen, or stomach, is full of microorganisms that help digest food, but it takes them at least a week to adjust to each new food type taken in. If those microorganisms can’t adapt by taking in small amounts over a period of time, the result is such a shock to the system it can kill deer pretty quickly.”
I sounds like if you were feeding the corn in the summer and continued through the winter, it might be ok. But I just stopped because I didn’t want to take any chances on causing more harm than good.
that is dogma and hey wouldn't you know, dogma that just so happens to discourage otherwise ethical people from giving starving animals food... its like some sick demon joke thing to get the vegans to argue against feeding starving animals

that is dogma and hey wouldn't you know, dogma that just so happens to discourage otherwise ethical people from giving starving animals food... its like some sick demon joke thing to get the vegans to argue against feeding starving animals
I don’t know if I buy that. I think there are groups of people/organizations who love animals and want to protect them.

I don’t know if I buy that. I think there are groups of people/organizations who love animals and want to protect them.
meanwhile they're starving and have these brutally short lives, that's ok with their perspective
what a betrayal by vegans

Could some of the problems highlighted here for not feeding wildlife be addressed with careful thought? These are not well through ideas that I'm about to foist on you all, just some possible discussion points.

• Human food is not healthy for wild animals, and they do not need food from humans to survive. Wild animals have specialized diets, and they can become malnourished or die if fed the wrong food
Research the specific foods required by the animals you are giving food to in articles online.

• Also, animals cannot distinguish food from wrappers or foil and can get sick eating these items.
Make sure the food does not have this.

• Feeding leads to public health concerns. Too many animals in one place increases the chance of disease transmission to people and among other wildlife.
Do not feed animals in certain areas, like public parks and near schools.

• Animals accustomed to people often lose their fear of people and can become aggressive. Those that become too aggressive may have to be destroyed to protect people and property.
Not sure about this one. How about leave the food on the ground instead of giving? Only feed in areas with few people? Only feed certain creatures that could be dangerous? (Side note "Have to be destroyed" is total BS. It usually means something like "killing is cheaper than alternative solutions, so they will be killed because we are speciesist". Any time you hear such a thing I should counteract with the truth.)

• Birds gathering near or on airports can become victims of bird-aircraft collisions, potentially causing flight delays, damage to aircraft, and loss of human life.
This one is a bit random. It's not like people are feeding birds as they walk from the terminal building to the plane. Do they mean you shouldn't feed the birds if you live near the airport? We shouldn't feed birds in a city with an airport?

• Animals fed along roads tend to stay near roads, increasing the chance of vehicle-animal accidents.
I am not sure if this is true in practice. If it were true, feed away from the roads.

• Large concentrations of ducks and geese can pollute nearby waterways, backyards and athletic fields. Some waterfowl species drop up to a pound of feces every day!
Large concentrations of humans tend to have polluted all the waterways actually, not to mention destroyed the ecosystem in their backward by having a lawn (see other thread). To be fair we have invented toilets so that's something in our favour. I think this one is unfair.