Food Dyes/Colour- Beware !

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
As I am eliminating all non vegan food colours and additives from food, I discovered that some food dyes where derived from petrolium. They are mainly used to make foods like sweets, desserts and biscuits look appealing but present a serious health hazard. So do beware when buying these products.:)

http://www.cspinet.org/fooddyes/

I have ordered a natural plant based red food colour on-line which is made from beetroots. It is far more expensive than the common cheaper version of E120 but defintaley worth it in the long run.

I cannot wait to see the end result as I'll be making ice cream later on.:drool:

Most food I've seen in the UK that uses red dye states 'beetroot red', ditto any food colouring I've found in the baking sections of supermarkets.

I remember when I was a kid there was a big hullabaloo about blue smarties causing hyperactivity.

^ Yeah I have some food colouring pastes for baking that are vegan, but have warning labels saying may cause hyperactivity in children.

What food colouring do you use SummerRain?

I use sugarflair pastes. This is the first link I found, but I don't buy mine from there - a local hardware shop (of all places) sells them. They're the only pastes I've tried but they're really good, I think they'll last forever you need so little, and they're very vibrant and being a paste don't water down whatever it is you are colouring - really good for sugar paste and things like that.

(Eta: just looked and they sell them on Amazon too).