Question First weeks of transition

L

Lonestar4life

Hello Everyone!
I am transitioning to a clean vegan diet. I'm on day 5 and I am really excited. But I have a few concerns/ questions.

1. What the poop?!?!

Pretty much everything I eat has fiber in it. So, I am going to the restroom often. Will this subside? Can anyone relate?

2. Restaurants

The beans I ordered the other night had meat in them. I wanted the veggie black beans, but was given pinto w ham ( misunderstanding). Will they swap it out for free? How do you politely handle this?

3. How long until I look like Alicia Silverstone? Kidding, (sort of)

Thanks Everyone!
-Lonestar

Reactions: Second Summer
1. If you have no underlying digestive issues your body should adjust fairly quickly.

2. Most restaurants would rectify an ordering error. It's just good customer service.

3. I'm still waiting and it's been 13 years.

Reactions: Lonestar4life
Agreed with KLS about restaurant ordering errors. Ordering can be a challenge, though, sometimes. On the one hand you want the best options, and obviously something vegan, but that sometimes involves requesting substitutions to menu items, like leaving out or swapping the cheese for something else. On the other hand, you don't want to confuse the staff / waiters too much.

3. How long until I look like Alicia Silverstone? Kidding, (sort of)
It helps a lot if you exercise in addition to eating a healthful diet :)

When it comes to comparing plant based eating with omnivore eating you need to compare like diets with like diets. Often we get people complaining about all kinds of 'withdrawals' and digestive problems only to find that they've switched from a low fiber, high fat junky diet of meat and dairy and to one of high fiber, low fat and whole foods! If your diet was more healthy Mediterranean you shouldn't have any issues at all.
Anyway, I have pretty predictable bathroom habits, but can be from 1 to 4 times a day, average 2 in the morning. It's no problem, although now that I put a bidet on my toilet seat i hate to go anywhere else!
I absolutely speak up if I'm given something I did not order! For me it's usually the cilantro rice, which I can taste even if scraped off, but I usually am ok with just having things scrapped off the tortilla if it's not too much, like if I see them put on one scoop. I've learned to watch food being prepared like a hawk.