Software Firefox to start blocking Flash content in August

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Firefox to start blocking Flash content in August

SWF supercookies will be blocked first, full click-to-play coming in 2017.

Firefox will begin retiring Adobe Flash on August 2 with the release of Firefox 48. In 2017, probably with Firefox 53, Flash plug-ins will require the user to actively click-to-play.

In Firefox 48, Mozilla will enable a new Firefox plug-in blocklist by default. Initially the blocklist will be small, mostly containing URLs of Flash SWF files that have been identified by Mozilla as supercookies (i.e. cookies that are very hard to shake off) or fingerprinting files (i.e. they scan your system and create a unique fingerprint, again usually for tracking purposes).

The Github repo explains the criteria for adding new SWFs to the blocklist:

• Blocking the content will not be noticeable to the Firefox user
  • It is possible to reimplement the basic functionality of the content in HTML without Flash
Mozilla explains this move as the beginning of the end for Flash: ...
Then, in 2017 (probably Firefox 53 in May), Flash content will be entirely click-to-play: so, you'll still be able to play Flash games and watch Flash videos, but all of those Flash ads and hidden Flash elements will be completely blocked. ... Mozilla hasn't directly stated that Flash will be completely retired after the click-to-play change, though that is clearly the ultimate end goal.

Firefox to start blocking Flash content in August

Last edited:
I love this. This is good for people who have various disabilities such as photosensitive epilepsy and other disorders where it is harmful to hear sudden loud noises, etc.

I love this. This is good for people who have various disabilities such as photosensitive epilepsy and other disorders where it is harmful to hear sudden loud noises, etc.
I just don't dig being startled or interrupted. LOL :p

Maybe I'll disable my ad-blocker next month, see how it's workin'....

Reactions: Freesia
I dont think my adblocker works that well... it certainly doesnt work on my windows 8 anyway. I miss windows 7 :/ .

Ever since Facebook started playing videos automatically, and I saw some horrific stuff that still haunts me, I've had my browser set to where I have to click to play. Much safer that way. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for Twitter videos.