Software Firefox 57

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It’s time to give Firefox another chance ---- Firefox Quantum launches November 14th, 2017. I think I'm gonna give the Beta a whirl now.... :)
I'm using this now, and it does feel like it's much improved!

First the good news. Firefox 57 is faster, quite noticeably so, thanks to improvements to what Mozilla calls Project Quantum. Quantum encompasses several smaller projects in order to bring more parallelisation and GPU offloading to Firefox. That's developer speak for using more of that really fast GPU you've got. And again, the results are noticeable (some of them have already rolled out).
More: Firefox 57: Good news? It's nippy. Bad news? It'll also trash your add-ons (10. November 2017)

It's quite different. I get the feeling that firefox is trying to be more like chrome, something they absolutely didn't need to do in my opinion.

I think the update was badly needed, and I don't think it's that different from before, except faster. If Firefox was to have any hope of competing with Chrome, it needed to be faster.

Firefox is now finally about to overtake Internet Explorer on the desktop market to become the 2nd most popular:
Browser market share