Fighting on my own

treehuggingeve

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey guys,

I became vegan a few months ago. I absolutely love it - it makes me happy and healthy, I feel more like myself than ever before and I will never go back. I have no doubt about it in my mind, I want to make that clear.

But it is making me feel lonely and isolated at the moment. Most people I know are not vegan. I know of a few but no one that I am close with. I try not to think about it too much when I see my parents eating meat or drinking milk but there is a gap between us. I don't have anyone to talk to about it, which is so hard when it is something I am so passionate about.

I bring it up with my family occasionally, because obviously I would love for them to make more ethical choices, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere because I end up feeling frustrated and more isolated - and that is not a good frame of mind for a vegan to be in when trying to persuade others that being vegan is about love and happiness.

So just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this and if they have any advice? I don't want to alienate my family by constantly being on their case about it but equally I want to advocate it and I want to get rid of these negative feelings about a cause that is so positive.

Thanks for hearing me out, please respond if you can relate :)

Reactions: Janatari_ddhdg
I know the feeling of isolation that you are experiencing. I got my husband to go vegan, but he's not interested in hearing about animal rights or the details I know about the animal agriculture industry. That's why I'm here online in this virtual vegan community.

Same boat with you unfortunately. My mother and girlfriend have dabbled with becoming a vegan and vegetarian (I found it offering meat alternatives like Morning Star can be a great way to convert them.) But they aren't as committed as I am. I think staying active on here as well as some Facebook groups can go a long way, there is a ton to learn here and lots of people to help you out!

A LOT of people have experienced this, many and maybe most vegans. I also have experienced this. There is no easy solution but a forum like this is definately helpful for starters!:)