Fiction as persuasion.

JackS

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I’m a whole food vegan. A writer. Last week I wrote a story to help the tide turn against meat eating. I translated it into a podcast with interesting results! Particularly from carnivorous friends! It has a hook and much as they might wriggle….
The point I’d like to make is that the arts should have a whole range of contributions to the debate about how meat eating is causing irreparable damage to the planet. Never mind the barbarism of much meat production. We can’t rely on the odd big picture gem like Okja.
JackS

I’m a whole food vegan. A writer. Last week I wrote a story to help the tide turn against meat eating. I translated it into a podcast with interesting results! Particularly from carnivorous friends! It has a hook and much as they might wriggle….
The point I’d like to make is that the arts should have a whole range of contributions to the debate about how meat eating is causing irreparable damage to the planet. Never mind the barbarism of much meat production. We can’t rely on the odd big picture gem like Okja.
JackS
It is a good idea for people to use their talents to fight for what they believe in. I don't think we always know what we could be capable of if we just put a little thought into it.

Reactions: Lou
I agree. We should be building a creative space across the media which provides a platform for poetry, prose, plays, music...fiction is less directly confrontational than documentary or polemical debate. It eases under the guard of its audience and works its magic there.

How kind of you. Yes, it’s me! Podcasting my work is a new venture, approaching my 80th year….!!! Did the twist ending get you? That, I hope, is the hook!

Reactions: Calliegirl
How kind of you. Yes, it’s me! Podcasting my work is a new venture, approaching my 80th year….!!! Did the twist ending get you? That, I hope, is the hook!
Yes. It was like a cross between the Twilight Zone and Tales Of The Unexpected. Chilling but making an excellent point.

I enjoyed the story. I thought I knew where it was heading, but ended up surprised at the ending.

Reactions: Brian W
JackS
I thought that was very well done, and I love your voice!

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
Great work. I listened trying to be impartial to the message as we're very much 'the choir' here; it's a well written and performed piece of drama in its own right. Your WFPB diet's been good to you—I would never have guessed you were nearly three score and twenty. I also liked Neanderthal's revenge and will check more of them out.

Hi, I meant to ask if you have a print version available somewhere? I wish I could, but I can't get audio.

I haven’t uploaded this short story to my website yet. Here’s a link to my script for the podcast! Hope you enjoy reading it.
Jack

Reactions: bEt
Great work. I listened trying to be impartial to the message as we're very much 'the choir' here; it's a well written and performed piece of drama in its own right. Your WFPB diet's been good to you—I would never have guessed you were nearly three score and twenty. I also liked Neanderthal's revenge and will check more of them out.
Thank you! Neanderthal was my first attempt at creating a different voice with technology! As to the diet - nothing processed, all from raw indredients inc bread (spelt) nut butters, cheese and plant mills. We are also starting a mushroom and micro-green cellar!

• Informative
Reactions: bEt