Favorite Veggie burger recipe?

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What are some of your tried and true veggie burger recipes?

I'm not very happy with what I'm finding in the store and I'd like to try making some.

I don't like black bean burgers at all, so if anyone has some without, please post them. Actually, post all of them, I know others like black bean burgers. :)

What are some of your tried and true veggie burger recipes?

I'm not very happy with what I'm finding in the store and I'd like to try making some.

I don't like black bean burgers at all, so if anyone has some without, please post them. Actually, post all of them, I know others like black bean burgers. :)
You can use any bean you like, doesn't matter. I mean garbanzos would be a different texture, but subbing like beans would be the same result.
I have the formula of dry to wet on my head so I never know what I doing. I throw in the oats/wheat germ/gluten/crumbs with the whatever beans/lentils/nuts and tofu/okara/cooked grains and ketchup/salsa whatever condiments and spices.
My biggest tip is to get the mix kinda pasty and let it sit covered in the fridge to really bind
I made pinto bean burgers with oats, wheat germ, smoked paprika, leftover cooked brown rice, salsa whirred in the already used food processor. Those were perfect, with the half the beans still left whole

I've done a version of chickpea seitan with about a 50/50 ratio mashed beans and gluten. I dredge in flour saute cutlets to brown on both sides in some oil, then cover with hot seasoned broth and simmer till they absorb all or most of the liquid. I'll throw in sliced veggies to steam and it comes out all gravy like. That was inspired by the Veganomicon cookbook chickpea cutlets, which were way too dry when I made them

I make tofu and mushroom burgers using various spices, ground almonds and cream to bind.
When people say 'ground almonds', I always wonder if the almond paste left from milking them can be used? I've made almond milk twice and both times i used the leftover pulp was very disappointing.

When people say 'ground almonds', I always wonder if the almond paste left from milking them can be used? I've made almond milk twice and both times i used the leftover pulp was very disappointing.

Ground almonds = almond meal.

Last edited:
I've tried many home made burger recipes but sadly, have come to the conclusion (which isn't very often) that shop bought ones taste far better. The major drawback is that they are expensive and contain far too much salt.

I also don't like black bean burgers as they taste and look like mush.:rolleyes:

The only ingredient that I have not tried when making burgers is seitan.

This is a hard choice because its so easy to make veggie burgers out of anything! Personally I agree with @shyvas and really like tofu burgers too, especially the marinated ones. I found a few great recipes for tofu burgers on the Vegan Burger Master website @veganburgermaster on instagram (great for ideas! be warned...) but i have yet to try them all. Personally my fav is the Vegan Japanese Burger since its marinated with date syrup and tamari and the kids enjoy the sweetness too!