Favorite spices,herbs & Seasoning?

Veganed

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
What are your favorite spices and herbs to use to add flavor to Vegan dishes?

Last edited:
cilantro, basil, tumeric, crushed red pepper

they're not spices but if we're talking about flavoring vegan food almost all my veggies get either lime or lemon juice on them

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, parsley, basil, turmeric/pepper, chipotle, cayenne, crushed red pepper

some food items have all of the above

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Braggs amino acids. Tons of garlic, onions, mushrooms/mushroom powder. Parsley sage rosemary and thyme.
Berbere spice blend. Rooster chili garlic sauce (brand that makes sriracha--Huy Fong (?)). Ginger. Black pepper. Coriander.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Basil, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, sage, ginger, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper.
Other flavorings: hot sauce, sriracha sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, tahini.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Salt isn't a spice. :cool:

My favourite spice is smoked paprika.
It is to me. If I could only have one thing in my food it would be salt lol.

A seasoning, perhaps?

I googled.

Salt Is Not a Spice

Salt is both a seasoning and condiment. Then, is salt considered a spice? The answer is no, salt is not a spice or herb since both of which are obtained from plants. Salt is a worldwide popular seasoning, yet it is not a spice. Instead, it is an organic mineral.

Did the thread title just get changed? I'm such a troublemaker! Lol. But it's perfect! 😍

• Haha
Reactions: silva
Whats is up with the citric additions to spicy spice blends? :hmm:
I just poured a free trial bag of Penzeys Outcast, which has cayenne as the main ingredient, followed by CITRIC ACID. It's hot and citrusy!
I can't stand heat with citrus, like that popular chili lime Tajin :down:.
I have a TJ's blend that has lemon peel and it just seems so out of place

Reactions: KLS52
Well, seeing as some alleged trouble maker has necroed an old thread I might as well join the party. :wave:

If I had to pick just one spice I would have to pick saffron. It has such a lovely aroma. I love the flavour as well, although often it's very subtle. I'd have to say fresh vanilla beans are a close second, and then green cardamom, maybe?

At the end of the day East Indian spices usually make me very happy. I love Thai spices too though, Thai red and green chilies, lemongrass, lime leaf, etc. It really depneds on what you are cooking doesn't it?

Just what are Thai chilis called??? I keep thinking "Thai bird chilis", but can't find anything specific to Thai
Well, seeing as some alleged trouble maker has necroed an old thread I might as well join the party. :wave:

If I had to pick just one spice I would have to pick saffron. It has such a lovely aroma. I love the flavour as well, although often it's very subtle. I'd have to say fresh vanilla beans are a close second, and then green cardamom, maybe?

At the end of the day East Indian spices usually make me very happy. I love Thai spices too though, Thai red and green chilies, lemongrass, lime leaf, etc. It really depneds on what you are cooking doesn't it?

I've just accepted that I'll never taste saffron again :shrug: . I was so excited the last time I got to try good saffron rice, and was disappointed.

Cardomom is very expensive! I'll have to look for it when I go to the Indian grocer next, certainly not from Penzeys!

• Sad
I was so excited the last time I got to try good saffron rice, and was disappointed.

I do like the smell of saffron in rice, but as I mentioned, it can be quite subtle. That's too bad you didn't enjoy it. Why was it disappointing? Was it too mild in flavour or too overwhelming? Was it the actual flavour of the spice itself? Curious?

It works very well with a risotto as well, but if you don't like the flavour of the spice I guess there's no point. It is the main spice profile of a paella. There's a few vegan paella recipes I've been wanting to try.

I do like the smell of saffron in rice, but as I mentioned, it can be quite subtle. That's too bad you didn't enjoy it. Why was it disappointing? Was it too mild in flavour or too overwhelming? Was it the actual flavour of the spice itself? Curious?

It works very well with a risotto as well, but if you don't like the flavour of the spice I guess there's no point. It is the main spice profile of a paella. There's a few vegan paella recipes I've been wanting to try.

It's been years, but I'm sure I was judging it based on the price :joy: . Why I also don't think much of pine nuts--for their flavor to price not worth it. If saffrons at all 'flowery' that would also be something I dislike
I also dislike risotto!
I don't know about paella...

• Informative
Reactions: Veganite
1. Garlic
2. Onion
3. Cumin
4. Paprika
5. Thyme
6. Oregano
7. Basil
8. Curry powder