Music Favorite non-American singers

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
We are arrogant in the United States. Many foreigners never make it big here. Who are your favorites?

k. d. lang, Neil Young, Yusuf Islam, a/k/a Cat Stevens, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Ziggy Marley, BobMarley, Edith Piaf, Amy Winehouse, to name just a few

But if you're concerned about non-American singers not making it big in the U.S., may I also remind you of those obscure musicians ranging from The Beatles to ABBA to Pavarotti (and the majority of well known names in opera) , etc.

Last edited:
Don't tell the wife, but I think almost all of my musical preferences originate from outside of the US ... :)

What has the US ever done for progressive rock, for example? Nuffink, is the answer! It's all British/European! Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Yes. Jethro Tull. The early Pink Floyd and the early Genesis. Focus. Thijs Van Leer. Various Italians and Scandinavians etc.

All the US could every produce was "Christian rock" and honky-tonk "stay with your man" country music about sick dogs and cheating wives :D

Reactions: Scorpius
US music arrogance? Kind of an absurd idea... Don't get me wrong, there's been a few good acts from the states, but most bands worth listening to throughout the history of popular music have been British.

Reactions: ledboots
It seems to me that Asia hasn't produced too many known singers. Are there any good singers in Asia that I've missed?

K-Pop is pretty popular here, but I couldn't name any groups, I don't personally listen to it. My dad though loves it, he could probably name a dozen. :p

Bjork, Adele, David Bowie, John Lennon, Morrissey...

They were big in my childhood years :) I still listen to it occasionally, for the retro kick.

I used to like them when I was a kid, I remember my friend had a poster in her bedroom and we used to kiss Morten Harket's face.:rofl:

I could go on forever on this topic, but here are a few: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Opeth, Neil Young, Matthew Good, Emily Haines/Metric, David Bowie, Portishead, Aphex Twin, Yes ... Ok, I will stop now. :)

I could go on forever on this topic, but here are a few: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Beatles, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson, Opeth, Neil Young, Matthew Good, Emily Haines/Metric, David Bowie, Portishead, Aphex Twin, Yes ... Ok, I will stop now. :)

Nice start... To build on an already excellent list I'd extend to bands like Eric Burdon/The Animals, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Cream, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (Not sure if Rainbow really counts... English band but most of the front men were American), Trapeze, Black Country Communion, Traffic, Judas Priest, Queen, Iron Maiden... It really is a list that could go on and on lol

Reactions: PTree15