Favorite Herbs & Spices

turtledove

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I like using a lot of herbs and spices when I cook in order to add extra flavor to my meals! My favorites to use are:

- Oregano (when cooking Italian food)
- Dill
- Basil
- Cinnamon (mainly in sweet dishes)
- Paprika Powder

What herbs and spices do you like using?

I am a huge fan of good ground black pepper, but I have to be careful with spices. I can use chilli flakes sparingly in most dishes. As a lover of pesto, I do love basil but only on certain dishes.

I prefer to add a dash of sweet chili sauce or toasted sesame oil for flavor on a dish, because if I am cooking for others, some may have allergies and these days you have to be more careful.

I'm not sure if this is a spice but my body has always really liked/craved mint. But if I were to pick, health wise, I would say ginger! I add that stuff to a variety of meals and drinks - great for digestion.

We add garlic and onion powders and whole garlic and onion to almost everything.
Turmeric/pepper.
Paprika.
Basil.
Chili peppers.

Emma JC

Basil, oregano, cinnamon, curry powder, paprika, garlic (is it a spice?) and rosemary for remembrance - the students' favourite, I put it on top of any roast veg dishes, it grows literally everywhere on the Mediterranean, so is free.

Fresh: cilantro, dill and Italian parsley

Dried: Herbs de Provence and sage

Any way I can get it: ROSEMARY!! I love rosemary it's a standby for me, I'll use anything from dried store bought to a pinch from my friend's rosemary bush, it's great in gravies, on Tofurky roasts, in your casserole, et al...I often sub rosemary if I see thyme in a dish (like a pot pie recipe)

Spices: lemon pepper, Japanese Togarashi 7 flavor spice, smoked paprika, and pumpkin pie spice

Basil, pepper, oregano, rosemary, mint, coriander, cumin ,ginger, nutmeg, cloves, chili, all spice, paprika, cardamom, cinnamon, .vanilla, fennel, saffron, turmeric, garlic, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, when I can get them fresh curry leaves. Lemon grass or lemon basil. There really are too many to list

Chives are my fave, I literally put them everywhere! They're amazing on avocado toast

I absolutely love Rosemary, with mint and vanilla close behind. But truthfully I love all the variety. It's fun to try new ones out.