Fake news-Not a new phenomenon

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We might think 'fake news' is a new phenomenon, but that is far from the truth. I've been enjoying CaspianReport's videos about fake news:
(A third video in the series is in the works, it sounds like.)

As mentioned in the second video, fake news was crucial to justify the invasion of Iraq and the overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

Indeed, also in the first Gulf War (1990-91), when Iraq had invaded Kuwait, fake news was crucial to justify US intervention:
Although there were human rights abuses committed in Kuwait by the invading Iraqi military, the alleged incidents which received most publicity in the US were inventions of the public relations firm hired by the government of Kuwait to influence US opinion in favor of military intervention. Shortly after Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, the organization Citizens for a Free Kuwait was formed in the US. It hired the public relations firm Hill & Knowlton for about $11 million, paid by Kuwait's government.[106]

Among many other means of influencing US opinion, such as distributing books on Iraqi atrocities to US soldiers deployed in the region, "Free Kuwait" T-shirts and speakers to college campuses, and dozens of video news releases to television stations, the firm arranged for an appearance before a group of members of the US Congress in which a woman identifying herself as a nurse working in the Kuwait City hospital described Iraqi soldiers pulling babies out of incubators and letting them die on the floor.[107]

The story was an influence in tipping both the public and Congress towards a war with Iraq: six Congressmen said the testimony was enough for them to support military action against Iraq and seven Senators referenced the testimony in debate. The Senate supported the military actions in a 52–47 vote. However, a year after the war, this allegation was revealed to be a fabrication. The woman who had testified was found to be a member of Kuwait's Royal Family, in fact the daughter of Kuwait's ambassador to the US.[107] She hadn't lived in Kuwait during the Iraqi invasion.
Source: Gulf War - Wikipedia (section titled 'Justification for intervention').

Indeed fake news is very actual and it is sad.
Many times I had such a situation when I was reading some fake news and I was driving after that information and that led me astray and after a while, I realized after other circumstances that it is fake and I felt very uncomfortable.
Even when I started my own business I had heard a lot of fake news and that made me make a lot of mistakes.
Anyway, I was lucky with some tips and tricks for a business that helped me get back to normal and solve problems.

Last edited:
Haven't watched those videos yet, but I remember watching the US's report to the UN about WMDs, with Gen Powell sitting right behind the director of the CIA to lend him credence and thinking at the time, "damn, that is pretty thin evidence.". and later we all found out that it was all BS.

But I'm thinking someone must have categorized "fake news". there seems to be different kinds. The term "active measures" has to do with a system of fake news or propaganda that has a specific intent and is part of a plan.

on the other hand, some fake news is just the result of sloppy reporting. and then there is slander which has a specific legal definition.

There is an antidote to fake news: Critical Thinking. In California Critical Thinking skills use to be taught in several grade levels and several subjects. I saw on TV that in one of the Scandinavian countries it is taught as a stand-alone class and they have started to export the curriculum to other countries.

Of course, not everyone is in favor of critical thinking. It might make it hard for some politicians to get elected. Also, it seems like some people are resistant to critical thinking.

Interesting to me is that many times vegans are accused of buying into PETA's propaganda. but i think it is everyone else who is buying into the livestock industry's propaganda. I think good critical thinking skills is a prerequisite to becoming vegan.

Reactions: silva
But I'm thinking someone must have categorized "fake news". there seems to be different kinds.
Yes. Should be interesting to see the list. It may be mentioned in one of those videos, I can't remember as it's a long time since I posted them.

I think good critical thinking skills is a prerequisite to becoming vegan.
Unfortunately, there are many vegans who believe in things like homeopathy, unproven claims about "super foods", clearly bogus anti-vaccine conspiracy theories and so forth.

But I do think becoming vegan often requires a certain level of "social bravery", i.e. not being afraid of being perceived as being "different".

Reactions: KLS52
Yes. Should be interesting to see the list. It may be mentioned in one of those videos, I can't remember as it's a long time since I posted them.

Unfortunately, there are many vegans who believe in things like homeopathy, unproven claims about "super foods", clearly bogus anti-vaccine conspiracy theories and so forth.

But I do think becoming vegan often requires a certain level of "social bravery", i.e. not being afraid of being perceived as being "different".
True Dat.
The "social bravery" could also be interpreted as self-confidence. As in, I can judge things better than most people."
But then if you combine self-confidence with an inability to do critical thinking - it is a recipe for disaster.
Or
combine self-confidence for an innate distrust for all news and info. You get Nickelodeon.

I knew a teacher who taught Critical Reading Skills. Back before the internet was popular. She would bring in The Daily World News into her classroom and give the students time to read them and pick it apart. I think they even did a little game like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. Where she would read real stories and fake ones and they had to decide which was which.
don't know if that would be harder or easier to do today.