News F*** the police - in with the Peace Officers

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The other day I happened upon this news story and it really hit a nerve (I used to play guitar in the subways) - although clearly there are far more horrible scenarios taking place on a daily basis.

NYPD Assault Arrest Musician for Playing a Song Even After Verifying He Hadn’t Broken Any Laws

Isn't it time that we re-assess our approach to upholding law and order? What we need are "Peace Officers." IE: cops who can properly assess a situation and diffuse it with the appropriate actions - the least of which should be the use of force - especially as in this case where there is absolutely no need for it. This example took 3 officers away from possibly preventing or assisting elsewhere, where they might really have been needed. And for what? To remove a harmless individual - doing nothing to interfere with anyone or anything. It's a failure of leadership from the top down.

I don't want to have cops go through sensitivity training. Why are we even giving a gun to someone who needs 'sensitivity training?' I want to hire cops that don't need sensitivity training. We need to stop giving policing jobs to personality types that thrive on being figures of authority - and are inclined to abuse the power that comes with it. If I were a cop - I would call every day that I came home without having to draw my gun or beat someone's head in a victory. I'm afraid that a lot of cops these days prefer it the other way around.

I get it; it's a tough job - in the big city you have to be assertive - tough. You cannot show weakness. You have to take control. This does not mean you have to show callous indifference and apathy to those you are supposed to be protecting and serving. It has turned into an 'It's us against them' mentality when cops hit the streets. The lack of respect officers are shown these days is directly related to exactly this kind of abuse of power and lack of discretion. From the relatively benign scenario of removing someone from a specific location all the way up to unleashing a hail of bullets when likely one bullet would do. We need to empower and urge our police force to exercise the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation - with a focus on the least disruptive and most peaceful outcome.

This effort would likely mean paying cops more - to do less enforcing and more policing. The first step should be putting in place personality testing requirements to screen out those individuals that display a tendency towards violent resolution / excessive force. If one has an inferiority complex - they have no business being a cop. (These are probably the only personality types applying for the job these days.) And a serious effort made to hire police directly from the communities that they reside in. They need to be a part of the community and have a vested interest in it - rather than being an outsider looking in.

I realize this is utopia-like pipe dream - but we've got to get a handle on this. I'm sick of former high-school bullies walking around with guns and nightsticks - and looking for any opportunity to use them. They start out on the street and before long they are promoted to leadership positions and hiring more bullies just like them. These are not the type of individuals who should be charged with keeping the peace.

Last edited:
Edit: I'm speaking of the police in the USA of course. I don't have much insight as to how cops are in the UK or other areas.

And I might add - outside of not being happy to get a speeding ticket once in a blue moon, I have had no personal negative experiences with cops in my lifetime.

My personal experience with police officers dates back to when I was a child. My mom was sick a lot and we often had to call for an ambulance. The police always seemed to arrive first back then so they were always the good guys.

Then when my nephew was a teenager, he was a bit of a brat and had a few unpleasant run ins with the police. Never anything criminal, just nuisance stuff. They were quite bull-ish.

And apparently, one officer got a young girl pregnant. No proof of that, though.

We lived in a small, quiet suburb of NY.

I hate what I see on the news, now. I am very wary of their motives. I imagine it is different depending on the area, too.

Edit: I'm speaking of the police in the USA of course. I don't have much insight as to how cops are in the UK or other areas.

Our police, in my personal experience, are (largely, not entirely) masters of diplomacy, Ded.

Possibly a policeman's diplomacy has some correlation to his risk of being shot.

Our police, in my personal experience, are (largely, not entirely) masters of diplomacy, Ded.

Possibly a policeman's diplomacy has some correlation to his risk of being shot.

Having been to London and Scotland a number of years ago - I did take notice the cops out there looked as though they could wipe me out with a wave of their arm. I'm 6'1 and they towered over me. (Is there a height requirement in place?) I'm pretty certain they all could have outrun me too. Needless to say, I was well behaved on that trip.

...and thinking that over - there is definitely *not* a height requirement over here. There are lots of cops in NYC and here in the Midwest that I tower over. Maybe that's part of the problem.

Part of the problem with who they hire is that mental health records (or any health records) are off limits. There was this horrible man in one small town I lived in who was applying to to be a cop. He had been in and out of mental hospitals for inappropriate sexual contact. He had sexual harassed women and there was a very high chance he had molested children. He was going around telling people he was getting revenge on everyone who ****** him off once he was a cop.
When I heard he had applied I went and talked to a detective at the station about my concerns, and was told they couldn't take any of that into consideration. Mental health records are considered health records and they weren't allowed to request or look at them. He said that hopefully something would come up during the psychological testing, but other than that, there wasn't anything they could do.
Thankfully, he didn't make it. Probably because during the application process, he tried to strangle someone at his job when they said he was a slow worker. I think it took three guys to pull him off.

For a job that puts someone in a position of power with a gun, all of their records need to be available. If they have a record of being treated for anger issues or inappropriate sexual contact, that needs to be known before they're hired.

Part of the problem with who they hire is that mental health records (or any health records) are off limits. There was this horrible man in one small town I lived in who was applying to to be a cop. He had been in and out of mental hospitals for inappropriate sexual contact. He had sexual harassed women and there was a very high chance he had molested children. He was going around telling people he was getting revenge on everyone who ****** him off once he was a cop.
When I heard he had applied I went and talked to a detective at the station about my concerns, and was told they couldn't take any of that into consideration. Mental health records are considered health records and they weren't allowed to request or look at them. He said that hopefully something would come up during the psychological testing, but other than that, there wasn't anything they could do.
Thankfully, he didn't make it. Probably because during the application process, he tried to strangle someone at his job when they said he was a slow worker. I think it took three guys to pull him off.

For a job that puts someone in a position of power with a gun, all of their records need to be available. If they have a record of being treated for anger issues or inappropriate sexual contact, that needs to be known before they're hired.

I agree with you 100%. Great points.

Reactions: Amy SF
It astonishes me that mental health records are not made available. However, a former co-worker of mine applied to be an officer, and she did have to be carefully evaluated both physically and psychologically, so maybe someone's past history isn't considered to be that imporrtant.

I’ve read about military veterans who came back with PTSD which often didn’t get addressed by the VA. They had trouble holding down jobs, but one area of employment where they had no trouble getting work is police and security work, where they could use, say, a hair-trigger temper to their advantage. I’m not saying all veterans who become cops are suffering from PTSD, but it sure seems like a lot of them do. At the very least, their experience in war prepared them to see everyone who isn’t a cop as “the enemy”, because of the difficulty they have in transitioning from a military mindset to a civilian one.

It seems odd to me that people would be scared of the police. I used to work at a hostel when I was a young woman (sometimes on my own at night) and there used to be trouble fairly regularly and I used to have to go outside and talk to the police as they were too scared to cross the gates and come in.:rolleyes: We are fortunate that we don't have a gun problem here, though.

Having been to London and Scotland a number of years ago - I did take notice the cops out there looked as though they could wipe me out with a wave of their arm. I'm 6'1 and they towered over me. (Is there a height requirement in place?) I'm pretty certain they all could have outrun me too. Needless to say, I was well behaved on that trip.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that there used to be a height requirement for the police here.

I am aware that US police forces do have serious problems and understand very well that people (and especially persons of color) are sceptical and afraid of interactions with them.

That said, how would society be without police officers?

I recently had a discussion on an Intersectional Vegan Facebook group where a UK person told me that police officers in the UK are all wrong and the police should be abolished as Police have Guns and they are keeping guns out of the hands of citizens in the UK, thus preventing “The Revolution”.

So I asked what that person thought, if UK people did get unfettered access to guns and “The Revolution” finally happened, would they really expect Leftist, LGBTQ+-friendly vegan people to end up in power (I have a few doubts on that, seeing what kinds of people now typically try to collect guns and other means of enforcing their arguments and beliefs) - so I personally prefer to have police officers in the society to prevent murders and keep everybody safe, even if they also are sworn to evict people from their homes and enforce other “unjust” measures over having to carry my own gun/sword/club wherever I go to keep myself and my family safe ...

Unfortunately I was removed from that group, as other people obviously felt uncomfortable and unsafe because of my blatant pro-Police attitude, so I could not get any answers to the questions I had asked...

I am aware that US police forces do have serious problems and understand very well that people (and especially persons of color) are sceptical and afraid of interactions with them.

That said, how would society be without police officers?

I recently had a discussion on an Intersectional Vegan Facebook group where a UK person told me that police officers in the UK are all wrong and the police should be abolished as Police have Guns and they are keeping guns out of the hands of citizens in the UK, thus preventing “The Revolution”.

So I asked what that person thought, if UK people did get unfettered access to guns and “The Revolution” finally happened, would they really expect Leftist, LGBTQ+-friendly vegan people to end up in power (I have a few doubts on that, seeing what kinds of people now typically try to collect guns and other means of enforcing their arguments and beliefs) - so I personally prefer to have police officers in the society to prevent murders and keep everybody safe, even if they also are sworn to evict people from their homes and enforce other “unjust” measures over having to carry my own gun/sword/club wherever I go to keep myself and my family safe ...

Unfortunately I was removed from that group, as other people obviously felt uncomfortable and unsafe because of my blatant pro-Police attitude, so I could not get any answers to the questions I had asked...

You likely got booted from the group because your initial question smacks of someone trolling.

I don't suggest that we remove police from society. I suggest we improve our hiring criteria and training, and weed out those we have mistakenly put into positions of power / authority who carry guns. IE: 'PEACE officers.' The innocent dead are piling up because of bad training, inexperience, the wrong people in the job, corruption, mistrust, the current political environment and the lack of consequences imposed by those conditions that lead officers to shoot the second they think someone might be reaching for a weapon. Since my initial post - things have gotten worse. We're not getting a handle on this problem - it's spiraling out of control.

Reactions: Andy_T