Extreme?

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
How far does your ethical veganism extend? Would you, for example, decide on having no children because of what humans do to the natural world?

Brian W

Mad Bard
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
How far does your ethical veganism extend? Would you, for example, decide on having no children because of what humans do to the natural world?
Good question. I think I need to be able to live reasonably comfortably but, within comfortable boundaries I will do all that I can. I find that the more I do, the more the boundaries shift and make it easier to do even more so who knows where it all ends.

Reactions: 1956 and Ahimsa

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
you can have vegan, responsible, ethical children that contribute more to society than they detract.
or not have children and therefore reduce population growth and not use valuable resources.

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
you can have vegan, responsible, ethical children that contribute more to society than they detract.
or not have children and therefore reduce population growth and not use valuable resources.
True, but they may not want to be vegan, or ethical, which makes them a bit of a gamble. There's also the fact that even by living as an ethical vegan you'd probably have a more detrimental effect overall than a positive one.

Reactions: 1956 and Brian W

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
True, but they may not want to be vegan, or ethical, which makes them a bit of a gamble. There's also the fact that even by living as an ethical vegan you'd probably have a more detrimental effect overall than a positive one.
True. Children are a bit of a roll of the dice. Maybe you just have one but she has 8!

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
True. Children are a bit of a roll of the dice. Maybe you just have one but she has 8!
Yes, one is enough these days. You can't begrudge a couple one child ... even if it does grow up to be a cannibalistic serial killer! 👹

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W

meghancopenhagen

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello :)
This subject is very philosophic, and there are a lot of different points of view about it. Personally, I am not sure that I want to become a mother one day. I have dreams that I want to fulfill, sand at this moment children are not in the picture. If I will ever get pregnant, I will keep the baby and I will try my best to raise him or her to be a good person.
Meghan

Ahimsa

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello :)
This subject is very philosophic, and there are a lot of different points of view about it. Personally, I am not sure that I want to become a mother one day. I have dreams that I want to fulfill, sand at this moment children are not in the picture. If I will ever get pregnant, I will keep the baby and I will try my best to raise him or her to be a good person.
Meghan
A good father will usually provide good children. The problems are usually on the y chromosome so if the father has problems in some way, he's likely to pass them on. Remember that no matter how good you are, nature/nurture is usually around 50/50.

Sax

Practitioner
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There's nothing un-vegan about having kids. There are major ethical considerations but having kids isn't inherently unethical either.

There's an idea of voluntary human extinction by choosing not to procreate. I'm not a supporter. But we obviously need to make some major changes as a species to leave room for nature to thrive and develop alongside us.

Reactions: Ahimsa