Ex-vegan with ibs/health problems. to meat-eater. vegan again. results: low fodmap is the answer.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3576
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3576

Hello,

I have made the switch to being vegan before and absolutely loved it, except for digestive problems.

When I was vegan, every health complaint I had, people would say 'It's because you're vegan!' These health problems were tummy pain, bloating, headaches, being cold all the time, feeling tired...

So I gave eating meat a trial again. The results were mixed. When I ate exclusively eggs, chicken and fish, I felt great (except still being cold all the time). At first, I tried bacon but was disgusted by it so decided not to eat red meat. Typical meat-eater thinking - that somehow eating SOME animals but not others is more okay : unamused:. When I had a 'normal' diet with those cruel products, everything was exactly the same. A doctor told me to try a low-FODMAP diet and it transformed my life.

So now I know the real reason for my digestive problems and that my health problems were exactly the same regardless of being meat-eater, pescatarian, vegetarian or vegan. I've made the switch to a being a low-FODMAP vegan.

Although I am ashamed that I went back to eating meat again, knowing exactly the suffering that chickens and fish go through, I feel absolutely convinced that being vegan, in itself, does not cause more health problems. It's just an easy excuse that people use. I have a renewed conviction to be vegan for life :cool:

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Welcome to the forum! I am glad you discovered the low-FODMAP diet! Good luck with your veganism! I find it to be very rewarding. :)

Reactions: Deleted member 3576
Hello and Welcome! My 1st attempt at being vegetarian and my 1st attempt at being vegan both failed by I've been vegan now for about 14 years and despite mental health issues I've managed to stay vegan. I also feel cold sometimes because of an under active thyroid. You could have a blood test to check that out?

Welcome!
I'm really glad that you have resolved health problems that you were suffering from and have the ability to be vegan once again, with new knowledge and old wisdom.
In the past have had struggles as well, mostly because of my own inconsistency and stupidity, and that's terribly embarrassing. The fact that I had a period where I did eat animal based products while being fully aware of the cruelty involved with the industry makes me feel remorse from time to time.
But all we can do is to live in this moment and do our best.