Evacuation in Fort McMurray, Canada

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Canada wildfire forces mass evacuation in Fort McMurray
Canada wildfire forces mass evacuation in Fort McMurray - BBC News
"The entire population of the Canadian city of Fort McMurray has been forced to evacuate because of a huge wildfire.
Some 80,000 people were told to leave as the blaze swept into the city, which is the gateway to the oil sands region.
Homes, petrol stations and a hotel are among the buildings destroyed in the city, in the province of Alberta.
There was gridlock on roads. Many fled north after flames forced the closure of the main road south. No casualties have been reported so far.
Alberta Premier Rachel Notley called it the "biggest evacuation... in the history of the province".
She said the priority was to get people safely out of the city and find enough spaces in evacuation camps for everybody."
With all the enviro-destruction and tragedy for the local Native American tribes, this is an apt way for Fort McMurray to go.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05/08/world/ap-cn-canada-wildfire.html?ref=world&_r=0
The fire and mass evacuation has forced a quarter or more of Canada's oil output offline and was expected to impact an economy already hurt by the fall in the price of oil. The Alberta oil sands have the third-largest reserves of oil in the world behind Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. Its workers largely live in Fort McMurray where some neighborhoods have been destroyed.

The largest exporter of oil to the US is Canada - but still, these oil sands are an eco-disaster.

Wildfire at Fort McMurray quickly overtakes Canada's environmental debate

More and the love/hate relationship with oil sands industry.

Last edited:
A huge wildfire which has engulfed parts of Alberta province in central Canada may double in size, officials have warned.

The blaze, described by some residents as “hell on earth”, had grown to around 386 square miles by Friday, according to the Alberta provincial government. Smoke from the fire has been detected as far away as the southern US state of Florida.

The Canada wildfire is so big smoke is being detected in Florida

"The mass evacuation also forced as much as a quarter of Canada's oil output offline and was expected to impact the country's economy, which has already been hit by a dramatic fall in the price of oil."

Await an increase in gas prices in the US and Canada ...

Canada wildfire advance 'slows' as evacuations finish - BBC News
The fire is expected to be the most expensive natural disaster in Canadian history, with insurance costs alone already running into billions of dollars.

The blaze ruined entire neighbourhoods in Fort McMurray, with residents warned it could be some time before they can return.

Officials say the power grid is damaged and the water undrinkable.

"The mass evacuation also forced as much as a quarter of Canada's oil output offline and was expected to impact the country's economy, which has already been hit by a dramatic fall in the price of oil."

Await an increase in gas prices in the US and Canada ...

A few years ago, gasoline prices in my area were just under $4.00 per gallon, they fell to $1.75 per gallon, and now hover around $1.99. This may sound trivial, but I have just gotten my lawnmower (push mower) back from the repair shop. One of the guys spoke to me about what kind of gas I was using. Virtually all gas stations here sell gas that contains up to 10 percent ethanol. The lawnmower guy said this tends to attract water into the fuel tank and carburetor, causing rust. It also damages gaskets. So I might have to travel to one of the few places in town that sells "pure" (no ethanol) gas, at least for my lawnmowers and weedeaters, etc. I think one place was selling "pure" gas for $2.50 per gallon.

A few years ago, gasoline prices in my area were just under $4.00 per gallon, they fell to $1.75 per gallon, and now hover around $1.99. This may sound trivial, but I have just gotten my lawnmower (push mower) back from the repair shop. One of the guys spoke to me about what kind of gas I was using. Virtually all gas stations here sell gas that contains up to 10 percent ethanol. The lawnmower guy said this tends to attract water into the fuel tank and carburetor, causing rust. It also damages gaskets. So I might have to travel to one of the few places in town that sells "pure" (no ethanol) gas, at least for my lawnmowers and weedeaters, etc. I think one place was selling "pure" gas for $2.50 per gallon.
Do you have Wawa gas stations? (Ridiculous name I know lol) They have ethanol-free gas for about 10 cents more than the other.

Do you have Wawa gas stations? (Ridiculous name I know lol) They have ethanol-free gas for about 10 cents more than the other.

According to this

Wawa - Store Locator

there are no Wawas in my area. I think Wawas are a mid-Atlantic chain, and I am in the South (Tennessee).
Thanks for the suggestion, though, they say they are constantly expanding, so maybe they will open up a store/station here in the future.

Reactions: ledboots
According to this

Wawa - Store Locator

there are no Wawas in my area. I think Wawas are a mid-Atlantic chain, and I am in the South (Tennessee).
Thanks for the suggestion, though, they say they are constantly expanding, so maybe they will open up a store/station here in the future.
A friend who is a mechanic recommends non ethanol gasoline for engine health. I like it because putting food in a gas tank makes me nauseous.

I talked to a guy in the local flying club and he said that the old DC-3 they have has to use gas/petrol with lead in it. They managed to get a special waiver from the Authorities otherwise it would never fly again.

Well ,that didn't take long for oil prices to jump up ... "Oil prices climbed more than 2 per cent on Monday morning in Asia as traders weighed the impact of wildfires continuing to rage in Canada’s top oil-producing province and a change at the top in Saudi Arabia’s energy ministry."

Last edited:
Bought some "pure" gas today from one place. They were selling it for $2.89 a gallon. Another station a few doors down was selling regular gas (with ethanol) for $2.09 per gallon.

I went to a second station that sells both gas-with-ethanol and gas without ethanol. With ethanol, $2.09 per gallon; without ethanol, $2.69 per gallon.

Both the owner at the first place and a sign at the second place said I could buy gas there at any time as long as I had a credit card. It never occurred to me to buy gas at a gas station after they had closed.

Just when you thought it was safe ... Canada wildfire: Oil workers evacuate camps near Fort McMurray - BBC News
The vast fire moved away but in recent days it has started to threaten the area again.

Hundreds of Canadian oil workers have been ordered to evacuate camps near the fire-hit town of Fort McMurray as a resurgent wildfire heads towards them.

Alberta State Premier Rachel Notley said up to 600 workers were being sent to oil sands installations further north.

About 4,000 more workers are on standby to evacuate if necessary.