EU EU parliament rejects ban on some 'dairy' words for vegan products

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Finally, a little bit of sanity from Brussels regarding vegan food:
The Vegan Society is pleased with the European Parliament’s decision to reject a ban – meaning that ‘dairy’ words such as ‘creamy’ or phrases like ‘alternative to’ will remain legal on plant-based milks, yoghurts, cheese and butter.
More:

Of course, you still call plant milks "milk" or vegan cheese "cheese".

"It is already the case that you can’t market ‘soya milk’ but only ‘soya drink’, and whilst the marketing of ‘vegan cheese’ remains illegal, brands use ‘vegan block’, or ‘vegan wedge’ to convey their message. Yet this hasn’t impacted the plant-based ‘dairy’ market, plant-based milk (up 107%) and plant-based cheese (up 165%) both showed triple digit sales growth between 2018 and 2020. The value of which is set to more than double from £226 million to £497 million between 2019-2025."

Sales of plant based milk and also spreads (it's called 'drink' over here) are certainly on the rise. There is quite a huge percentage of customers who are also lactose intolerant as well as vega*ns who purchase these kind of products.

Reactions: Emma JC
Even though sales of these vegan products have seen impressive growth, we don't know how much more it could have grown without any of these ridiculous restrictions, or how much it will limit growth in the future. Some conservative segments of the consumer base are already skeptical to anything looking like dairy that didn't originate from cow udders. Most of them will probably not even want to consume a single drop of this newfangled hipster juice, especially if it can't even legally be sold as "milk" or "cheese".

Last edited:
Even though sales of these vegan products have seen impressive growth, we don't know how much more it could have grown without any of these ridiculous restrictions, or how much it will limit growth in the future. Some conservative segments of the consumer base are already skeptical to anything pretending to be dairy that didn't originate from cow udders. Most of them will probably not even want to consume a single drop of this newfangled hipster juice, especially if it can't even legally be sold as "milk" or "cheese".

I'm not too sure as consumers aren't dumb. Sales of pb milk and yogurt have soared over here and they aren't labelled as milk or yogurt. As long as the supermarkets stock the items and the manufactures spend enough on promoting these pb food, they seem to be selling.

I actually cannot recall what the soya milk that I usually purchase is called. It has a pic of a glass containing a white drink with soya beans and leaves beside it.

1622275245229.png

1622275297334.png

1622275388385.png

So I looked for the definition of creamy and some suggestions on how to use it in a sentence and one of the phrases was, "He has a creamy voice." Well unless this imagined person is drowning in milk, had the EU ban gone through, it would have been illegal for him to have a creamy voice. He would have had to be in possession of an oat alternative voice!
My sense of humour ;-)

So I looked for the definition of creamy and some suggestions on how to use it in a sentence and one of the phrases was, "He has a creamy voice." Well unless this imagined person is drowning in milk, had the EU ban gone through, it would have been illegal for him to have a creamy voice. He would have had to be in possession of an oat alternative voice!
My sense of humour ;-)

I've never heard of that. :D However, I have heard the phrase 'a velvety voice' quite often when describing someone who has a sauve, soft tone.

We had some similar legislature in some of our states.
And the USDA may choose to get involved.
but during deliberations the attorney went to a dictionary and found that one of the definitions of milk was just a white liquid. Rubber tree sap is called milk, too.

BTW, not to toot my own horn (toot toot)
but I scooped IS on this over in the Everything Non-Dairy thread.

We had some similar legislature in some of our states.
And the USDA may choose to get involved.
but during deliberations the attorney went to a dictionary and found that one of the definitions of milk was just a white liquid. Rubber tree sap is called milk, too.

BTW, not to toot my own horn (toot toot)
but I scooped IS on this over in the Everything Non-Dairy thread.

Toot!

Reactions: Lou