Ellen - just another celebrity 'vegan' sellout. :(

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It's sad when greed wins. :sigh:

"Vegan" Ellen Degeneres Launches Leather Footwear Line

Ellen DeGeneres is facing a backlash from her animal-loving fans afterlaunching a new footwear line. The shoe line, called ED by Ellen, features leather boots and is manufactured in Brazil by the Camuto Group —the billion dollar leather business behind Nine West. The ED by Ellen shoe line is being marketed and sold by Bergdorf Goodman in New York City and the products will be available online as well as in other stores throughout the country and internationally in the spring.

Animal rights activists and former fans are taking to social media to call out Ms. Degeneres for being a "hypocrite," for doing a "moral about-face" and for selling "boots made out of the skins of dead cows."

The entertainer purports to be an ethical vegan who is against the abuse of animals in factory-farms...

https://www.thedodo.com/vegan-ellen-degeneres-1345118584.html

That figures. It just goes to show you that most celebrities who make a big deal about their veganism and how it's made them better/healthier/whatever are just seeking attention and are full of ****.

Well that sucks. She probably hasn't had any design input whatsoever (I doubt many celebrities do) but you think she'd at least request vegan items if she was putting her name on it. Also looks like there's cashmere from a quick look at the (really bland) range.

She probably hasn't had any design input whatsoever

the makers of the range probably insisted that they include leather. Make their stuff look 'weird' to segregate...I'm just surprised that Ellen went along with it....it is really stupid even just from a PR point of view.

Celebrities, when they're not creating fads or trends are big followers of fads or trends. I'm afraid many of them see veganism as just another fad, another trendy bandwagon to jump on when it "feels right" to them, which is why they can't commit to it for the long haul, haven't done any research on it, develop weird ideas about it, and can afford to hire personal chefs and eat vegan restaurant food all the time. It probably exhausts them to keep it up, especially when they're traveling or on location and won't or can't stay vegan for one reason or another.

Celebrities, when they're not creating fads or trends are big followers of fads or trends.

a lot of people become veg for a while. And then later fall away from it, and then probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

I'm not even a fan of hers, or seen much of anything she has done, but perhaps we could cut her some slack? She probably has a lot on her plate(and not just the egg ;) ) signing deals here and there without knowing what they are signing......I think people expect too much of celebs.

Celeb bashing....!:rolleyes:

I love her...as much as one can love a celeb they never met, ha. I hope you are correct. I'm sure feedback will get back to her. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I wonder when they started to look like dollar signs instead of living beings?
30-ellen-portia-holly-farm.jpg

On this page you can see she's selling products made of suede, cashmere and wool. I think her days of being a vegan are over.
Grace Suede Boot

I used to really like her too. :(