Egg Substitute

wedigfood

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Anyone know of a liquid egg substitute that I can use like I used to use liquid egg whites. I have only seen powders and I don’t really have the time to deal with that in the morning. I really miss my “scrambled eggs” with all the goodies, mushrooms, olives, spinach, etc.

Anyone know of a liquid egg substitute that I can use like I used to use liquid egg whites. I have only seen powders and I don’t really have the time to deal with that in the morning. I really miss my “scrambled eggs” with all the goodies, mushrooms, olives, spinach, etc.
mashed up tofu is quite egg-like.....have you heard of tofu scramble?

You can add black salt, and nutritional yeast, and maybe black pepper to make it more eggy.

Reactions: wedigfood
What about tofu? And if you use some black salt, you get the egg taste too. Or you can use polenta.

With polenta it will look like this:

nomelett%20tomat%20r%C3%B8dl%C3%B8k.jpg

Thanks Blobbenstein and Mikkel, appears you both have virtually the same advice, thanks. Will try that. I take it you don't believe all the "rumors" that somehow tofu messes with hormones.

I take it you don't believe all the "rumors" that somehow tofu messes with hormones.
I don't really believe it. Probably a scare story from the meat industry. I think I read that it was.
Also I don't really care if it does mess with my hormones.

Reactions: wedigfood
I resisted trying tofu scramble for a long time, and not because I avoid soy, but instead it just didn't sound good.....but I was wrong. When made with mushrooms, onions, spices, etc I think it ends up being pretty tasty.....better than scrambled eggs.

Soy contains phytoestrogen, but so do a lot of other plant foods......even beer has it but you don't hear about beer feminizing men. Some nuts and seeds actually have more phytoestrogen than soy, for example flaxseed.

Soy doesn't feminize men, it's a scare tactic.

I find the whole "Gentlemen, soy will turn your proud juicy plums into little seedless grapes" thing absolutely hilarious on two major counts:

1. A head count of Chinese points slightly away from soy scoffing males having their trouser canons loaded with blanks.

2. 80% of all soy produced is fed to livestock anyway. That makes any genuine concern from the meat industry over soy in the human food chain somewhere between absolute zero and sweet feck all.

Reactions: Dedalus
I did not like The Vegg at all. Turns out I didn't like black salt either. Guess after ten years I lost the desire for anything real eggy tasting/smelling.

I usually take a slice of tofu sprinkled with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and microwave it with a slice of Smart Bacon, half a slice of Daiya cheddar and put that between two pieces of whole wheat toast for six WW points of egg white sandwich deliciousness!

yes, I've made a few quiches with it, but I usually end up eating the whole thing in one day, and that is quite a lot of calories, with all that pastry, so I haven't made one for a while.

I make them without a crust. I miss the crust, sometimes, but then I'll have it with a piece of whole wheat/grain toast so it makes me feel like I'm being a little better about it. But there's something to be said about a nice, flaky crust...very delicious.

oh yer, it's gotta have pastry. Maybe I should just make thinner pastry.
I have planned on using the bought pastry(JusRol), but it's still sitting in the freezer. Might have freezer burn by now.

Wow, thank you all, Blobbenstein, KLS52, Clueless Git, flying snail, ledboots and Mikkel. Tofu scramble it is, seems unanimous that the feminizing was all BS, will also try the The Vegg. I heard Gary Yourofsky also make a similar comment, not so colorful as Clueless Git, about the Chinese use of soy and all seems well with them.