Egg Help

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
So I've been vegan for almost 5 years now, but I still miss eggs quite a lot and I do not know how to deal with it.

Specifically, I miss fried, poached, and boiled eggs. Especially fried. I'm good on the scrambled - never massively liked them, tofu scramble is actually better IMO. And I make an awesome tofu omelette so no complaints there. But I've yet to find something that satisfies the cravings for the other types.

Anyone got a solution? Aside from the possibility of a successful vegan egg hitting shelves in the future...

How would you eat the fried egg? Is it the soft yolk that you're missing?

How would you eat the fried egg? Is it the soft yolk that you're missing?

Yeah. My two favourite ways to eat a fried egg were in a sandwich or with chips (fries) to dip in it. Soft yolk either way, and I liked the whites too.

Oh, that looks pretty good!

I thought so too. I'm going to get everything for it next week and give it a go, I'll post my findings. If it's good, I don't see why I couldn't also construct a sort of boiled egg to dip toasted soldiers in :p

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I look forward to seeing how well you like this recipe.

I used to think I missed eggs, too, but most of my cravings were solved with black salt (I'm an "egg salad" fiend). I know that real eggs now smell quite funny to me. DH ordered a veggie omelette for lunch today and I found the whole thing very unappetizing - I don't know if it was the eggs, the butter or the cheese, but wow! smelly!

I haven't ever used black salt (I loathe egg salad :D), but I wouldn't mind adding it to a tofu scramble, as I used to love scrambled eggs.

The vegan fried egg recipe does indeed look intriguing. I, too, will be curious as to the outcome, AF.

I bought black salt a while back but didn't like it. For someone who used to eat eggs 3-4 times a week it's funny how I don't even give them a thought. I have zero interest in eating them now. The exception is in baking, though. Even though I've had numerous baking successes using egg subs, I would still prefer to use real eggs. I just think the results are better, overall. So I pretty much just stick to the eggless recipes that really work for me. I just made the Veganomicon sour cream pound cake...so delicious!

I bought black salt a while back but didn't like it. For someone who used to eat eggs 3-4 times a week it's funny how I don't even give them a thought. I have zero interest in eating them now. The exception is in baking, though. Even though I've had numerous baking successes using egg subs, I would still prefer to use real eggs. I just think the results are better, overall. So I pretty much just stick to the eggless recipes that really work for me. I just made the Veganomicon sour cream pound cake...so delicious!

I totally agree. I wish that a firm could come up with decent egg subs. for baking.

Reactions: KLS52

I also used to eat eggs several times a week - but I can't forget about them for long :p That being said, I don't miss them in baking at all - my baking improved drastically without eggs.

I just ordered some black salt to see how I get on with it.

Reactions: KLS52
A little goes a long way! I usually use 1/3 black and 2/3 sea salt when I do use it. Too much and your dish will smell like a…well, not nice.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Tofu scramble is far better than egg scramble. I always needs my eggs cooked extra firm because the runny eggs grossed me out, but an egg salad sandwich was good. Chickpea salad sandwiches are a great replacement.

I have no idea what's under all that, but I saw this on FB and thought of you!
View attachment 8384
Omg fully vegan, and look at their brunch menu. Of course in Oregon :(

477267d240569fff45282c2e74b37ad0.jpg