Edible non-vegan packaging?

Trinity

YES!
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone else has heard about non-edible packaging being sprayed on fresh organic veggies to preserve their life. I keep hearing this and wonder if anyone else has any information? One thing that really disturbs me is that this edible packaging seems to have animal products in them!

I'm finding it difficult to find any good information about this (other than hearing through the FDA that it exists). As a vegan I definitely do not want to be inadvertently eating animal products, so I'd like to find out more and wondered if anyone here had heard or experienced anything?

I read this from the Dr Mercola site:

According to the FDA, modified atmosphere packaging (MAP), which includes so-called "smart" and "edible" types of packaging, has made great strides over the past decade or so, and has "greatly improved the quality and shelf-stability" of otherwise highly perishable produce. This type of packaging can be either "active" or "passive."

The FDA explains:

"Active modification occurs by the displacement of gases in the package, which are then replaced by a desired mixture of gases, while passive modification occurs when the product is packaged using a selected film type, and a desired atmosphere develops naturally as a consequence of the products' respiration and the diffusion of gases through the film. ... Reducing the rate of respiration by limiting O2 (dioxygen) prolongs the shelf life of fruits and vegetables by delaying the oxidative breakdown of the complex substrates which make up the product. Also, O2 concentrations below 8% reduce the production of ethylene, a key component of the ripening and maturation process." [Emphasis mine]

Essentially, by spraying a substance on the fresh produce, which forms a thin film, oxygen levels can be limited, which slows down the ripening process. So what might this "edible" film substance be comprised of? The list of potential ingredients is a long one, and will vary from product to product, but can be generally divided into four basic materials:
  1. Lipids (waxes, oils, stearic acid)
  2. Resins (such as shellac and wood rosin)
  3. Polysaccharides (such as cellulose, pectin, starch, carrageenan, and chitosan)
  4. Proteins (such as casein, soy, and corn-zein)

That's interesting. I do know that citrus fruits can be covered in shellac to increase their shelf life/reduce evaporation. I try to buy unwaxed where possible, but obviously in restauraunts/etc vegan dishes may well use waxed citrus fruits. It would be good to know more about what other types of produce have these kinds of non-vegan films on them.

If you're talking about the wax or shellac type covering, that has been around forever. Some of the nicer stores have signs up letting you know what's on their produce. Otherwise you can ask the produce person to find out for you.

I haven't heard about it being used on organic produce, and the FDA link , links to a non-existent page. Do you have a reputable source that makes that claim? Dr. Quack Quack (Mercola) is basically a snake oil salesman and not considered an accurate source of information.