Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (optional)
  • 1 small yellow onion (diced)
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced )
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 1/4 cup diced tomato
  • 1/3 cup snow peas (can be cut in halves)
  • 1 Tbsp. curry powder
  • 1/8 Tsp cayenne
  • 2 x 14 oz. cans coconut milk
  • 1 cup veggie stock
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Coconut Quinoa or Rice:
  • 1 x 14 oz. can coconut milk
  • 1 cup white quinoa or rice can be used (rinsed thoroughly)
  • 1 Tbsp. agave nectar (optional)
Directions:

1. Begin by washing the quinoa or rice thoroughly. Add to a medium saucepan over medium heat and toast for a couple minutes. Add coconut milk and 1/2 cup water, totaling the amount of liquid per box directions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is light and fluffy, ensuring that the liquid is completely absorbed. Set aside until serving.

2. In the meantime, heat a large saucepan or pot to medium heat and add coconut oil or water sauté, as I prefer. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, broccoli and season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add curry powder, cayenne (or chili pepper), veggie stock, coconut milk, tasting and seasoning, as needed. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat slightly and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.

4. Add the snow peas and tomatoes in the last 5 minutes so they don’t overcook.

5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Serve over coconut quinoa or rice and garnish with a wedge of fresh lemon and cilantro, or mint. I sprinkled some red pepper flakes on mine as well. The lemon juice from the garnish does enhance the flavour, so be sure to squeeze your lemon.