Earth Hour is 8:30 tonight!

Nothing I wouldn't do anyway, it's useless virtue signal. I can understand people who save energy consistently through the year but doing it only in short time period because of some event is mere heard behavior and attempting to display your virtue by doing something of no significance and with little effort.

Nothing I wouldn't do anyway, it's useless virtue signal. I can understand people who save energy consistently through the year but doing it only in short time period because of some event is mere heard behavior and attempting to display your virtue by doing something of no significance and with little effort.

The joy and happiness you bring to this forum are off the charts! How do you live with such a sense of well-being?

Emma JC

The joy and happiness you bring to this forum are off the charts! How do you live with such a sense of well-being?

Emma JC

Joy and happiness built on falsehoods or/and lies tends to have nasty consequence of being short-term and biting you in long term . If I wanted such happiness, I would be a drug user and advocate for use of drugs. I'm not one to pretend that urinating on wildfire would extinguish such fire and prefer actually working solutions or ones that have sufficient probability of working, in case of absence of such solutions it's best to search for adequate solutions. What is being proposed here isn't a solution, even any significant reduction of an issue it's illusion of doing something to deal with an issue while in reality not doing anything of significance.

• Sad
Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou
The experience was serene and invigorating. I'm going to implement this on my daily routine from now on.

Reactions: Emma JC
Raising awareness is not "doing nothing."
If awareness doesn't lead to a solving problem it pretty much means nothing. Making cleverly placed add on the internet or even TV outlying effects on environment and appeal to self-interest by bringing up data about loss of money and potential savings would be far cheaper and effective than turning down lights for one hour for short period of time and forget about saving energy for rest of the year.

Last edited:
If awareness doesn't lead to a solving problem it pretty much means nothing. Making cleverly placed add on the internet or even TV outlying effects on environment and appeal to self-interest by bringing up data about loss of money and potential savings would be far cheaper and effective than turning down lights for one hour for short period of time and forget about saving energy for rest of the year.
You apparently don't realize, or maybe you just don't care, but this is a particularly stressful period for a lot of people.

You might try to be a little cognizant of that fact and try to put a little courtesy or perhaps even a little kindness out into the world instead of the unpleasantness you have been spreading.

I'm starting to get a sense of what people were previously were referring to as the "caustic side" of this forum, so far it has been rather amusing to read them, I'm starting to wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes, if Earth Hour is discredited it seems very likely that Easter is going to be spoiled too (perhaps they should be since most easter eggs contain milk:expressionless:).

While I already make an endeavor in everyday life to consume as little resource as possible, such as using appliances only when necessary, I suppose I'll do something extra by turning off my laptop and modem early today (it's pretty much the only electronics I keep turned on in the house), saves 20-30W every hour :D

Last edited:
You apparently don't realize, or maybe you just don't care, but this is a particularly stressful period for a lot of people.

You might try to be a little cognizant of that fact and try to put a little courtesy or perhaps even a little kindness out into the world instead of the unpleasantness you have been spreading.

There is always stressful period for a lot of people for variety of reasons, this one is no different. I'm not concerned with stress as its part of daily life for most of the people and people learn to cope with it and should by adulthood.

Courtesy is a pointless distraction, it's just mere cultural expectation of behavior often predicated on ridiculous and irrational believes and traditions, It differs from society to society and time period to time period, trying to be courteous on internet where people across globe have access to is like trying to play a game with various rule sets some that are in contradiction with each other. Unpleasantness is also common occurrence in a real world and ignoring it doesn't make it disappear. I consider providing unpleasant truth a kindness, certainly greater than maintaining blissful illusion that will collapse once consequences manifest visibly in reality.

• Agree
  • Angry
Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou
There is always stressful period for a lot of people for variety of reasons, this one is no different. I'm not concerned with stress as its part of daily life for most of the people and people learn to cope with it and should by adulthood.

Courtesy is a pointless distraction, it's just mere cultural expectation of behavior often predicated on ridiculous and irrational believes and traditions, It differs from society to society and time period to time period, trying to be courteous on internet where people across globe have access to is like trying to play a game with various rule sets some that are in contradiction with each other. Unpleasantness is also common occurrence in a real world and ignoring it doesn't make it disappear. I consider providing unpleasant truth a kindness, certainly greater than maintaining blissful illusion that will collapse once consequences manifest visibly in reality.

Well, when someone tells you what they are, it's wise to believe them.

You have told us what you are.

Well, when someone tells you what they are, it's wise to believe them.

You have told us what you are.

Possibly you will be glad to tell me but try to do it in adequate for it place (such as my profile) given it isn't relevant to the topic as such off-topic.

This April 22nd is the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. I remember the 20th anniversary of Earth Day in 1990 - it roused and inspired the whole world, it seemed. So many of its goals are being implemented - solutions that my 21 year old self never thought would happen so quickly.

Last edited:

I'm quite sure, as a US citizen who probably believes (correct me if I'm wrong) in the "war on terror", the "war on communism", the "war on drugs" and various other excuses for US military excursions across the world in the last several decades, you were probably concerned over the real stress of people being bombed, gassed, tortured, murdered and imprisoned...

....oh no sorry. You were referring to phony covid-19 pandemic that the media has been hyping and the fear it's generating among various hypnotized viewers of mass media.

Earth hour/earth day...last time I heard about it was years ago. I suppose if it makes you feel good, or like you're doing some sort of civic duty, go for it. It seems to me to be similar to wearing a pink ribbon.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Millions unite online for Earth Hour 2020