US Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: If found guilty - what should be his sentence

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
So, another Boston Marathon is comming up and the Boston bomber hasn't had his day in court.

Federal prosecuters are going for the death penalty, but I don't think that's the best punishment.

IMO, he should get life in prison in solitary confinment. Why? because he wants to die and get his 40 virgins and all. Solitary confinment will be slow torture for him as he won't be able to infect the other prisoners with his toxic memes.

He'll become nameless and annonymous, and unable to achieve full martyrdom.

Solitary confinement and the death penalty are both inhumane punsihments and should never be used.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will likely get life without parole and solitary, if not death.

He should get, maybe, 20 years max, with actual rehabilitation.

Solitary confinement and the death penalty are both inhumane punsihments and should never be used.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will likely get life without parole and solitary, if not death.

He should get, maybe, 20 years max, with actual rehabilitation.

Given the high probability of creating new terrorist with his poisonous ideas, it's is essential that he never be allowed contact with the general prison population.

In 20 years, he'll only be 40, and will still be a threat to society. Rehabilitation is not possible for extremist. And there is a high likelihood that he would fake "enlightenment" to get out. ..the 911 terrorist faked a enjoying western lifestyle.

I think that he is young and thoughtless, and that he followed his older brother. I don't think that excuses him; the amount of damage he did to so many lives is the same, whether or not he ever fully realized the consequences of his actions.

I think that "rehabilitation" for him would entail him understanding the scope of the suffering he caused, that that is not acceptable under any circumstances, and acceptance of his responsibility combined with true and absolute contrition. I think that kind of rehabilitation has to come from inside the person; no one else can do it for him.

For someone like him, I would like to see a life sentence, with an adjustment if he achieves this rehabilitation, which must come from within.

While I hate him and I hate terrorists, prison for life with no possibility of parole is fine by me. I really don't think he's going to get 40 virgins now way or the other.

It is hard to say. While I hate punishing people as a rule, I find it hard to be excited about people who deliberately kill so many people, enjoying life on the outside when their victims never get to wake up and see another day themselves. I dont know really what can be done with people like that.

Also, he doesnt seem to regret what he has done.

Given the high probability of creating new terrorist with his poisonous ideas, it's is essential that he never be allowed contact with the general prison population.
How many new terrorists will Tsarnaev create if he spends 20 years in the general population?

In 20 years, he'll only be 40, and will still be a threat to society.
You can't possibly see that far into the future.

Rehabilitation is not possible for extremist.
Rehabilitation is not possible for a lot of people, extremist or not, because the United States prison system is largely about profit and rounding up Black people, not rehabilitating people.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Tsarnaev can safely associate with other inmates? So they will probably have to keep him separated, in practice a kind of solitary confinement.

The Oslo terrorist says the comfortable conditions of his inprisonment is pure torture. Oh well.

I believe rehabilitation is always technically possible, but of course more difficult in some cases.

He killed 3 people and severly injured hundreds. How is 20 years a sufficient sentence?

40 year olds are quite capable, and if he hasn't been rehabilitated, he could cause a lot more carnage.

I think it's reasonable to assume that people who've committed violent crimes are prone to violence. Blowing people and building up would be something they might become interested in if exposed to his toxic memes.

How many new terrorists will Tsarnaev create if he spends 20 years in the general population?

You can't possibly see that far into the future.

Rehabilitation is not possible for a lot of people, extremist or not, because the United States prison system is largely about profit and rounding up Black people, not rehabilitating people.

That's not a satisfying argument though. If one had access to a satisfactory prison system, would the rehabilitation of an extremist be theoretically possible?

Even in the best of circumstances, rehabilitation is not possible for a lot of people; people can change only if they themselves are extremely dedicated to changing, and even then, it's often not possible.

If one had access to a satisfactory prison system, would the rehabilitation of an extremist be theoretically possible?
I think this dude is more troubled -- extremely troubled -- youth than extremist. I think it depends on the extremist whether or not rehabilitation is possible.

I think this dude is more troubled -- extremely troubled -- youth than extremist. I think it depends on the extremist whether or not rehabilitation is possible.

I think it also depends on the troubled youth whether rehabilitation is possible. Mental illnesses/psychological conditions aren't as easy to "cure" as most people who haven't experienced them tend to assume.

Just look at all the people suffering from depression on this board, and how they constantly struggle, even though they are highly committed to changing their circumstances. Now try to imagine someone who doesn't even acknowledge that there's something wrong. There's no hope of change there.

He should be glad he isn't in an American prison. Our prison system is something lifted out of a third world country.
It really is deplorable, the little I admittedly know about it. I do know that we imprison *far* too many people.
u8ymu9yp.jpg