Droughts predicted by new model for popular geo-engineering plan

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A controversial proposal to cool the planet artificially by injecting tiny reflective particles into the upper atmosphere which block out sunlight would cause droughts and climate chaos in the poorest countries of the world, a study has found.

One of the more serious plans to “geoengineer” the global climate would in effect create another climate catastrophe that would result in misery for millions of people, according to a computer model of the plan.
Full article: Plan to avert global warming by cooling planet artificially 'could cause climate chaos' (The Independent, 8th Jan 2014)

This particular geo-engineering approach is similar to a volcanic eruption as it injects particles into the atmosphere and has a cooling effect.

Reactions: Trinity
Interesting - this sort of thing doesn't seem to be very well received on this forum though :( otherwise I'd be happy to share a lot more where this came from.
Thanks for sharing.

Interesting - this sort of thing doesn't seem to be very well received on this forum though :( otherwise I'd be happy to share a lot more where this came from.
Thanks for sharing.
This sort of thing, as in geo-engineering? I dunno, I don't think it's been discussed a lot?

I guess this adds to the heap of evidence that there are no quick fixes to global warming.

Well I tried to broach the subject in the previous thread, but it wasn't taken seriously... I just thought 'wrong place' to even mention that sort of stuff, which is a shame, because I think it's a fascinating subject that really need to be brought out into the open.

I'll try to read this soon. If we addressed the warming but were still putting a lot of carbon dioxide into the air, will we still be going through droughts, cities going under water, and other problems they expect in the future?

I'd be more for research into ocean seeding than into aerosols.

The aerosols does nothing for ocean acidification.