drinking milk hitting 'concerning' levels, research shows

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Women's avoidance of drinking milk hitting 'concerning' levels, worrying experts

Dairy avoidance reaches dangerous levels, especially for women - CSIRO

report at http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/PHN/PHN19_09/S1368980015003250a.pdf&code=010f3917a1361f4090aecae20ceafeb1

What happens when 2 psychologists and 2 nutritionists do a report about people giving up dairy.

Very interesting reading if you have the time. People giving up dairy products as they have medical problems, but without consulting doctors. The media give it the old "people must consume dairy", and this gem,
""Some think it's not natural for humans to drink the milk of another mammal but for those who can happily tolerate lactose, milk is a perfectly OK food and no more unnatural than breeding cows and other animals and eating their flesh.""

As there is a world wide glut of dairy products, the industry is pushing the products as hard as they can. People blaming dairy products for feeling ill, is not what is wanted in the press. Shame there's no follow up about if people did feel healthier after giving up dairy.

Last edited:
Women's avoidance of drinking milk hitting 'concerning' levels, worrying experts

Dairy avoidance reaches dangerous levels, especially for women - CSIRO

report at http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/PHN/PHN19_09/S1368980015003250a.pdf&code=010f3917a1361f4090aecae20ceafeb1

What happens when 2 psychologists and 2 nutritionists do a report about people giving up dairy.

Very interesting reading if you have the time. People giving up dairy products as they have medical problems, but without consulting doctors. The media give it the old people must consume dairy, and this gem,
""Some think it's not natural for humans to drink the milk of another mammal but for those who can happily tolerate lactose, milk is a perfectly OK food and no more unnatural than breeding cows and other animals and eating their flesh.""

As there is a world wide glut of dairy products, the industry is pushing the products as hard as they can. People blaming dairy products for feeling ill, is not want is wanted in the press. Shame there's no follow up about if people did feel healthier after giving up dairy.
Bookmarked thank you. I'm very interested in the topic [emoji4]

EU has major problems within the dairy sector - even Iran is reporting on it -
PressTV-German farmers protest falling dairy prices
Hundreds of German milk farmers have staged a protest in Munich against the government’s economic policies, which they say, are behind plunging dairy prices.

The protest, organized by the Bundesverband Deutscher Milchviehhalter BDM (the Federal Association of German Dairy Farmers), took place outside the Bavarian State Chancellery in central Munich on Monday.

The demonstrators blamed the policies of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the European Union for plummeting milk prices both in Germany and across the continent.

The demonstrators also called for greater governmental regulation on milk and other products.

I am one who avoided dairy for years before I even heard of veganism. I had begun to have terrible digestive issues and abdominal pain at the start of 1999. So terrible that I was terrified of anything that would make it worse or aggravate it. I kept a journal of foods and other items that seemed to make it worse, and dairy was one of them. I would have terrible cramps, diarrhea, bloating with dairy. Cheese was the absolute worst culprit, while plain low fat/fat free Greek yogurt seemed to affect me the least. So I started avoiding cheese and then dairy milk altogether. I would still consume Greek yogurt here and there, and on occasion a little parmesan or mozerella, but for the most part I stayed away from dairy. I had tried lactose free milk at first but it didn't make any difference, and I couldn't stand the consistency of it. I later switched to soy milk and when almond milk became more popular I started drinking that. i would scrape cheese off pizza, or avoid it altogether. I remember how frustrated I was that a lot of restaurant food had cheese in it, and hidden dairy.

My pain was later discovered as endometriosis. But even after I had a full hysterectomy and ovaries out and another surgery to remove the remaining endometroisis, I still had diarrhea, cramps, and even nausea with most dairy products if I dared try them. Ice cream was the ultimate worst culprit and would send me to the floor if I dared eat some. Even with the Greek yogurt I had increased mucous. Going vegan was very easy for me due to my dislike for and fear of dairy. I was actually more concerned about the health consequences of giving up fish, not dairy.

I do have osteoporosis, diagnosed in 2006 when I was only 34 via DEXA scan. But I attribute it to a variety of factors...first period wasn't until I was 16, and last was when I was 33 ( due to hysterectomy and ovary removal). So I had a very short exposure to natural hormones over my lifetime. I had been on thyroid meds since I was 16, which also contributes to bone density loss. So do many antidepressants, and I was on them for two decades. I was on Lupron for six months for the endometriosos. And I was underweight for a good bit of my life. My rheumatologist actually said that some people are born with lower bone density, and it can be genetic. It has little to do with consumption of dairy in and of itself. He is actually encouraging of my vegan diet. And he was furious at the gynecologist who took my ovaries out at such a young age. He said he would have only done that if someone had cancer or high risk for it.

Sure dairy is a "convenient" way for humans to get protein, calcium, b12....but at what cost to the animals, the environment, even our health?

The demonstrators blamed the policies of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the European Union for plummeting milk prices both in Germany and across the continent.

Sorry, but the only ones to blame for low milk prices are exactly the people who are protesting now :mad:
THEY lobbied for abandoning the "milk quotas" as they thought they could make more money that way.

The big factory farm companies, that is (the ones that still make a profit even now with lower milk prices), not the small farmers that should also be represented by this organization, but were conned into going along with clamoring for the abandoning of milk quotas (or whose vote against was simply ignored).

But the title of the thread is a bit wrong. It is "Avoidance of drinking milk" that is reaching "critical levels" ;)
The levels of drinking milk have always been critical....

Also, I must say that I am now quite a bit incensed after reading the information about the initial study into dairy avoidance.

Their assumption is that many people (especially women) are avoiding dairy products from irrational motives as they do not have a medical indication of dairy allergy. So they are unfortunately misguided, similarly to people avoiding gluten although they do not have celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

Nowhere in the abstract of the study did I read a mention that the study authors are aware there are also other reasons for avoiding dairy products, most prominently among them the suffering of animals.

Reactions: Naturebound1
Going from what this e-mail to me said,
"CSIRO initiated the research to get an understanding of the drivers behind the market growth of ‘modified’ dairy and wheat products such as lactose free milk and gluten free wheat products, as examples. This particular survey was to benchmark what people are eating (and - the other side of the same coin - what they’re not eating) to help future research."
I assume that the amount of lactose free and gluten free products being sold was far more then would be expexted by the amount of known people with intolerance problems.