Animal Advocacy Dogs Should Not be Cloned

I still miss many of the animals I've known over the years (including one particular cat from the '60s!!!) But as the article points out, cloned animals have different personalities, and in that case (as I see it), they wouldn't be my original animal companion (although I would still love the clones).

I often clip some fur from a deceased animal and keep it before I bury them, and bury a little of my hair with them. It feels creepy and wierd and good and the right thing to do... all at the same time. (Okay, maybe not so wierd... ancient Egyptians and Vikings had some strange, if spectacular, ways of burying their dead. I can just imagine the response from onlookers if I gave one of my deceased animals a Viking-style sendoff at a nearby river, complete with a small floating watercraft in flames...)

If someone has to mess with nature, could we clone the last two remaining Northern White Rhinos please?

I've heard that cloning may cause health defects, though I'm not sure how true it is as it's quite hard to find non-biased source material. Something about the original age of the cell. Similar to how things fade when you photocopy them, but a lot more sciencey. I know that Dolly the sheep got arthritis very young and died at half her natural lifespan.

^^^ Yep- if I recall, it has something to do with the chromosome ends called "teleomeres". As the cell ages, something happens to the teleomeres which wouldn't be present in the chromosomes of sperm or egg cells, so when an egg is just implanted with a somatic-cell nucleus, it's not the same start in life.

Eh... I don't know if I find cloning unethical, exactly, but I do agree that she should have adopted a pet instead.