Does VGML mean vegan?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've always been under the impression that the meal code VGML used by airlines means "vegan meal", but almost every time I'm flying they give me VGML meal boxes containing one or more dairy items. I always contact the airline ahead of time and request a vegan meal, but what I get is a "VGML" meal which tends to have mostly, but not exclusively vegan items in it. For example, there could be a small container with dairy margarine or a bar / flap jack containing dairy.

So this leads me to the question: Does VGML not mean vegan? (At least not universally - to some airlines it seems it does, but not to others?) What do I have to do to ensure they give me a completely vegan meal box next time?

I'd think it means vegetarian meal, rather than vegan, and they don't know the difference between vegetarian and vegan, so if you ask them about vegan meals, as far as they're concerned, if it's vegetarian it's also vegan. That's my best guess. :shrug:

When you request a vegan meal, do you specifically ask that there be nothing with dairy or eggs in anything?

I'd think it means vegetarian meal, rather than vegan,

This. VGML is a vegetarian meal.

I found this page on Happy Cow listing meal codes for different vegetarian/vegan meal options. At the bottom, it lists different airlines and the types of meal options they offer, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year.

Last edited:
The following SMR are what airline companies use, however not all airlines offer all the meals on the list.
  • AVML - Asian Vegetarian Meal Requested
  • BBML - Baby/Infant Meal Requested
  • BLML - Bland Meal Requested
  • CHML - Child Meal Requested
  • DBML - Diabetic Meal Requested
  • FFML - Frequent Flyer Meal Requested
  • FPML - Fruit Plate Requested
  • GFML - Gluten Free Meal Requested
  • HFML - High Fiber Meal Requested
  • HNML - Hindu Meal Requested
  • JNML - Jain Meal Requested
  • KSML - Kosher Meal Requested
  • LCML - Low Calorie Meal Requested
  • LFML - Low Cholesterol / Low Fat Meal Requested
  • LPML - Low Protein Meal Requested
  • LSML - Low Sodium / Low Salt Meal Requested
  • MOML - Muslim Meal Requested
  • NLML - Non-Lactose Meal Requested
  • ORML - Asian Meal Requested
  • PNUT - A Customer allergic to peanut dust
  • PRML - Low Purin Meal Requested
  • RVML - Raw Vegetarian Meal Requested
  • SFML - Sea Food Meal
  • SPML - Special Meal Requested (this code must be followed with freetext stating the nature of the request)
  • VGML - Vegetarian Non-Dairy/Egg (Vegan) Meal Requested
  • VLML - Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian Meal Requested
Normally they have the description following the code.

I would suggest that you call the airline company and ask them if they have a Vegan menu (all of them do) and ask them what kind of meal you would expect.
During my last trip to Canada I flew with KLM which have different meals to Virgin Atlantic.

o_O
I cannot believe there are that many - or that certain meals have a code (suchs as a raw one or a 'bland' meal)

I havent been on a plane long enough to ever get a meal (sadface) so never have thought about this

Last few plane trips I took I only got snacks, not whole meals. But these were domestic, not international flights. Should we assume that American airlines offer whole meals for international flights?

You get free meals and drinks on all long haul flights.
Yes, especially on inter-continental flights.

@shyvas, where did you find the list you posted? I would be interested to see if a list like that was posted on the IATA site or somewhere else relevant to the airline industry.

Yes, especially on inter-continental flights.

@shyvas, where did you find the list you posted? I would be interested to see if a list like that was posted on the IATA site or somewhere else relevant to the airline industry.

SSR = Special Service Request. These are IATA codes used by all airline companies when a special request is on the PNR which also includes disablitly, baggage and seating as well as meals.

'A special service requests code (SSR) is used by airlines to capture information about special meal requests, special baggage handling requests, unaccompanied minors, and disabled passengers, among other things. Some SSR codes are used across the air travel industry, and some are airline-specific.'

Not all airlines offer you the same choice of SPML. Some are very limited and others offer a wide range even paid meals with a choice of different menu that you can choose from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_service_request_code

On every long haul transatlantic flight you are served meals, snacks drinks (alcohol included) non stop as it
helps time fly.
On Virgin Atlantic and KLM they serve ice cream and than hot pizzas or hot sandwiches after lunch, in the afternoon. You also have a drinks and snacks bar at the rear end of the plane.

On Virgin Atlantic and KLM they serve ice cream and than hot pizzas or hot sandwiches after lunch, in the afternoon.

Oh, nice! Do they offer nondairy versions, do you know? (i.e. soy ice cream, pizza with soy cheese or no cheese, veggie sandwiches?)

Oh, nice! Do they offer nondairy versions, do you know? (i.e. soy ice cream, pizza with soy cheese or no cheese, veggie sandwiches?)

No. You only get a vegan sandwich or hot sandwich which tastes bland. I have never tasted delicious, original vegan food on any airline and always write a letter of complaint afterwards.
I always end up bringing lots of my own food which I mix with their food including lots of snacks and fruit.

Well, that's always a wise idea. The trick now is being able to find something to drink besides water at the airport once you're past all the security checkpoints and waiting in the terminal, since we can't bring liquids through security. Want soymilk? Good luck.

Well, that's always a wise idea. The trick now is being able to find something to drink besides water at the airport once you're past all the security checkpoints and waiting in the terminal, since we can't bring liquids through security. Want soymilk? Good luck.

You are allowed to bring 100 ml in transparent containers.

I always bring my soya creamer and lemon juice for the flight.

Last edited: