Question Does this desert have a name?

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I created my first vegan desert by putting crushed vegan digestives into the bottom of a desert glass, putting a layer of raspberries and raspberry conserve onto it then topping with creamy soyghurt and decorating with whole raspberries. It was just off the top of my head but I would imagine it has been done before and wondered if it has a name.

Not sure about trifle. From an Englishman's perspective, a trifle has a base of sponge soaked in jelly, then on top of that, set custard, then fruit, then cream and is decorated with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands. I would be happy with some variation but I'm not sure mine constitutes a trifle. Maybe it depends on where you are in the world though?

Not sure about trifle. From an Englishman's perspective, a trifle has a base of sponge soaked in jelly, then on top of that, set custard, then fruit, then cream and is decorated with hundreds and thousands or sugar strands. I would be happy with some variation but I'm not sure mine constitutes a trifle. Maybe it depends on where you are in the world though?

A traditional trifle is made with soaked sponge or finger biscuits. Jelly is not required in the making. What you are describing isn't really a recipe just
a layer of biscuits, yogurt and fruit. I think that you can name it whatever you like.

JO always calls many of his recipes '' A kinda of …….'' as he often tweaks most of the traditional ones.

I often make a similar one using crumble, yogurt/cream and puréed fruit.

I created my first vegan desert by putting crushed vegan digestives into the bottom of a desert glass, putting a layer of raspberries and raspberry conserve onto it then topping with creamy soyghurt and decorating with whole raspberries. It was just off the top of my head but I would imagine it has been done before and wondered if it has a name.
I made something similar about a week ago but I soaked the base in Amaretto (hope it's vegan). I love all those desserts that combine cake/biscuits/fruit and creamy stuff like vanilla or plain soy yoghurt. I keep meaning to try cashew cream but haven't got round to it yet. At the same time I like to avoid sugar if at all possible.

Reactions: Second Summer