Does such a Site exist?

Mostly Random Dude

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Imagine that you are trying to cook something and it calls for a specific animal-derived ingredient. Whatever it is, reduced butter, shredded Gruyère or egg whites. I really wish there was a single searchable site that documents ways to substitute ingredients while keeping the flavor and the functionality. I.e. not a recipe site, but a toolkit that would allow a competent cook to convert existing recipes into vegetarian/vegan form.

I have bumped at this problem several times recently and could not find anything that has these solutions in a single location. If you know of a site like that, please share? Otherwise it might be an interesting business idea for someone who has time on their hands (come to think of it, I'd even invest into a business like that).

it may seems obvious....? I use google for things like that

eg 'vegan reduced butter substitute' googled.... right at the top of the page without having to click on a website or app...

What are good vegan butter substitutes? In baking, you can use vegan butter, applesauce, dairy-free yogurt, coconut oil, coconut butter, olive oil, nut butter, mashed banana and mashed avocado. In cooking, you can use olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable stock, or avocado oil to replace butter.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Imagine that you are trying to cook something and it calls for a specific animal-derived ingredient. Whatever it is, reduced butter, shredded Gruyère or egg whites. I really wish there was a single searchable site that documents ways to substitute ingredients while keeping the flavor and the functionality. I.e. not a recipe site, but a toolkit that would allow a competent cook to convert existing recipes into vegetarian/vegan form.

I have bumped at this problem several times recently and could not find anything that has these solutions in a single location. If you know of a site like that, please share? Otherwise it might be an interesting business idea for someone who has time on their hands (come to think of it, I'd even invest into a business like that).
I've seen vegan cookbooks that make suggestions, but the problem is they're all subjective!
There are so many, I agree with Emma - to search for what you want, and come here to find opinions! There are many!

Reactions: Emma JC

Veganizing an existing non vegan recipe could require some experimentation. I think it's better to just find a vegan recipe. You might be surprised to find how many veganized recipes there are.

Reactions: Emma JC