Does anyone have the cookbook happy herbivore?

Spidergrrl

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Every recipe from her blog I have tried seems just so-so, but I read her blog and everyone seems to *love* her food. I am interested in her recipe for torkey (tofu turkey) from (I believe) her first cookbook as i need something for Christmas. Anyone have the cook book willing ot share the recipe? or will be honest and tell me not to bother because it was just so so.

Thanks

Every recipe from her blog I have tried seems just so-so, but I read her blog and everyone seems to *love* her food. I am interested in her recipe for torkey (tofu turkey) from (I believe) her first cookbook as i need something for Christmas. Anyone have the cook book willing ot share the recipe? or will be honest and tell me not to bother because it was just so so.

Thanks

Pm'ing you.

Thanks--I( got your PM. I sent one back but I am not sure if you'll get it--I don't have much faith in the new PM system. I was very interested in what you said--I have unsubscribed to her blog becuase of it. thanks.

I got this cookbook in an exchange a while back. I have made a few recipes from it. Some I liked more than others.

I was very interested in what you said--I have unsubscribed to her blog becuase of it. thanks.

May I ask why? I am clearly out of the loop with regard to this author...

I have the book. I base my mock tuna on her recipe and sometimes I flip through it, I have thought of making a few others. It is a very basic sort of cookbook. I bought it before that "herbivore" thing. But I in truth have a large number of books.

I am looking at a great book I got from the library http://www.amazon.com/Hearty-Vegan-Meals-Monster-Appetites/dp/1592334555 my mother saw me reading it and she gave me this big lecture saying "You only got that book out because you want to eat monstrous sized meals" and I said "No, I just wanted to look at the cookbook" and she opened it up and looked through it to see the monstrous meals but she ended up just seeing some bakes and pasta dishes etc...

Anyway that was a little irrelevant, sorry, but I thought it was a good cookbook anyway.

Yeah-she just doesn't do it for me. There are lots of people out there who it works for, but not me. I always hope a recipe will work(I am an optimist) , but they often are way too bland for me. Different strokes for different folks i guess. But I just don't need to be reading her blog if I don't really dig her food.

^ I agree. If you dont like a particular cooking style it is no point. I am pretty picky in the books I buy, I always flip through and ask myself if I could picture myself making these things. A few books such as Veganomicon, Appetite For Reduction, and Happy Herbivore, I ordered online not having seen the books so didnt know what the recipes would be like. A bit of a risky move but it has paid off in some cases.

My take on this post is that she is still following a vegan diet, just that she doesn't adhere to the vegan label, because it brings too much nit-picking from others. I don't really see any issue in that.
I agree. I posted the link because I know about the controversy surrounding the author, and I thought it would be good to have her words on the subject posted before a bunch of speculation started.