Doctors are getting onboard

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just watched an hour long video on Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Plant Strong channel. It was a great interview with Dr Michelle McMacken who is a plant-based physician based in New York and it is a wonderful story of her own exposure and immediate conversion at a Lifestyle Convention in 2013 put on by Dr Esselstyn, Dr Greger and others.
She immediately started using it, the next day, in her practice, and now teaches doctors how to as well. It is a very heartwaring and uplifting hour.

Emma JC

I have read a lot of posts from people who said their doctors or nutritionists have not been positive about their veganism. I usually don't bring it up with people unless its relevant but I did this year. when I told my doctor I was vegan, he replied, "I am too!" He is Indian so he might be at least vegetarian for religious purposes.

Then I saw a Registered Dietician and she was really positive about veganism. We had a nice discussion about Dr. Gregar and she told me that her colleagues all took the 30-day vegan challenge last year.

I have read a lot of posts from people who said their doctors or nutritionists have not been positive about their veganism.

I've heard this, too. The thing is, both the (1) American Medical Association and the (2) Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics have stated that plant-based / veg diets are healthy (the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics is the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians).

From the American Medical Association policy H-150.94 - Healthful Food Options in Health Care Facilities:

"1. Our AMA encourages healthful food options be available, at reasonable prices and easily accessible, on the premises of Health Care Facilities.
2. Our AMA hereby calls on all Health Care Facilities to improve the health of patients, staff, and visitors by: (a) providing a variety of healthy food, including plant-based meals, and meals that are low in saturated and trans fat, sodium, and added sugars; (b) eliminating processed meats from menus; and (c) providing and promoting healthy beverages.
3. Our AMA hereby calls for Health Care Facility cafeterias and inpatient meal menus to publish nutrition information."

Link: https://policysearch.ama-assn.org/policyfinder/detail/hospital food ?uri=/AMADoc/HOD.xml-0-627.xml

From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' Position Paper on Vegetarian Diets:

"It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes."

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27886704

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC