Do you prefer store bought Veggie Burgers or homemade?

thisnthat

Forum Novice
Reaction score
I have to say, I think veggie burgers have come a long way. Many years ago, I tried some that were just awful. This is what led me to trying to make my own at home. Now days though, some of the heat-and-eat ones are pretty good.

Which do you like better?

Last edited:
I've never tried making homemade veggie burgers. I've always bought them. My favorite brand would be Morning Star. All of their products taste great to me.

I have to say that you are definitely right about veggie burgers coming a long way. Back in the day they were just plain nasty. The world seems to be becoming more health conscious so the market for vegetarian products has grown.

I like both types. Store bought are more convenient and easier to use for barbecues and parties. There are different types; garden burger where the patty is made up of vegetables and breadcrumbs, or the other where tofu is used. I like them both and usually buy what is on special. Homemade are great to eat, but I don't always have time to make them and I tend to add more potatoes in them to keep them together.

These days lots of cafes come up with black bean burgers or a mushroom burger, so there are more vegetarian burger choices that before. In the UK we have a spicy bean burger by Burger King which is vegetarian approved and they also do a kid's meal with the bean burger.

Veggie burger tastes really great for me. To make it even tastier, I regularly pair the veggie burger with potato salad or easy summer side dish. I prefer the store bought veggie burger because I've no time to make my own and it's savory than a homemade.

I like both types. Store bought are more convenient and easier to use for barbecues and parties. There are different types; garden burger where the patty is made up of vegetables and breadcrumbs, or the other where tofu is used. I like them both and usually buy what is on special. Homemade are great to eat, but I don't always have time to make them and I tend to add more potatoes in them to keep them together.

These days lots of cafes come up with black bean burgers or a mushroom burger, so there are more vegetarian burger choices that before. In the UK we have a spicy bean burger by Burger King which is vegetarian approved and they also do a kid's meal with the bean burger.

Wow, I didn't know Burger King offered this alternative. I don't think they do that here in the states (or at least not in my state). Nice.

The black bean recipe for the homemade version, is the one I like the best. It is certainly more convenient to grab a pack at the store, but I like making my own when I have time.

Homemade ones usually taste better, as do most homemade foods. But I rarely have the time to make them, so store-bought ones are my staple. I've never not liked a veggie burger, really, I'm not a picky eater. I like the vegetable ones, black bean tofu, quorn etc etc. But my favourite is probably Quorn's southern chicken styled grills - they're delicious. I know quorn products mostly aren't vegan though - they'll be one of the things I miss most when/if I transition fully to vegan.

It can be tough to find time to make homemade foods. When I make veggie burgers, I usually make an extra large batch and then freeze them individually. I can just pop one out any time, just like the packaged ones. They don't take long to heat up, even from a frozen state.

I am not sure what other ingredients are there in a veggie burger that was bought from a store. To be safe and sure I would choose to prepare my own veggie burger. That way I am aware what went in to my burger and I can adjust the taste to my own liking.

Reactions: thisnthat
I have to confess to have never really needed either. I don't eat out and have never felt the desire to put anything other than chips between some bits of bread to make a traditional chip butty.

I had no idea that places like KFC even had the option for a veggie burger that was approved, but I guess it makes sense. I have never actually been into KFC or McDonalds so have no idea what they even offer!

So I guess my answer is either neither or homemade. I do have a nice recipe for a butterbean sausage which could easily be made flat and called a burger.:D

I prefer to make my own, honestly! I use black beans and sweet potato as a base and then add whatever herbs/spices I am feeling...they turn out pretty good! I find that a lot of the pre-packaged store ones have mushrooms in them, which I'm not a huge fan of. Making them myself means I know exactly what's going in to them, and there's no hidden baddies!

Aside from this local organic food store's in-store brand, I'm not a huge fan of store bought veggie burgers. I keep some around in case I need a quick meal, but they're so bland by themselves. I don't make my own but I've tried some of my friend's homemade veggie burgers before and loved them. I really need to learn how because I think that'd improve my quality of life. I love black beans in most things anyway.

I've heard a few people say bad things about Morningstar, but I LOVE their veggie burgers and chicken(chickpea) patties. They are freaking delicious. I've never tried making veggie burgers at home, so I'm not going to argue that they're better, but they are so good.

Also, if any of you live in Birmingham, go to Al's and get a veggie burger. Best I've ever had anywhere.

I have tried both homemade veggie burgers, Boca burgers, and Morningstar patties. The homemade burger was decent - and maybe my opinion is biased because my mother made it for me as a special treat when I went to visit her. But I will always, hands down, prefer Morningstar patties! If I wanted to, I'm sure I could make homemade patties but I have honestly never tried to do it myself.

I actually prefer Morningstar's spicy/buffalo Chick'n patties to regular veggie burger patties.

I prefer homemade veggie burgers because this way I'm absolutely sure it is prepared with the right ingredients.

I am never sure if those burgers found in stores are 100% vegetarian, but I may buy some when in need of a rush meal. However I don't have a favorite brand as it's very rarely when I buy some.

I'm a plant based vegan, so I absolutely prefer making my own. Just because something is vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy. I don't buy highly processed foods.

I've never had a homemade one, but I can only imagine how good it would be. I've had a couple different brands that I have bought in the store and they were all pretty goood. I mean I think that it's all about the brand that you are buying. There are so many that it's hard to know the good ones. I think that having homemade ones would be good, I mean anything homemade is always good. They used to make veggie burgers at my school, but I never ate them because I didn't trust it.

I generally prefer homemade. I can control what goes into the homemade ones, and I generally prefer burger fillings with chickpeas or vegetables rather than beans. However, you can get satisfactory veggie burgers in McDonalds in the UK. It's called the 'Spicy Bean Burger'. Not the best quality, but I guess it's good enough when you need to have a filling meal.

I've always made my own patties since I'm very strict about the preservatives they put in frozen vegetarian patties. Just the amount of sodium in some of those products makes my skin crawl. I use a lot of mushrooms in my patties like portobello and spice them up salt, pepper and some secret family ingredients. :)