Health Issues Do we need shampoo?

Music Platter

Barefoot in the City
Reaction score
After I started looking at VB and VV, I started to become more aware about what was in my shampoo, and what company made it. It turns out both Pantene and Tresemme are owned by animal testing companies (Proctor and Gamble and Unilever*, respectively).

At first I nervously sought an alternative, but (after doing some research) I finally decided to just do away with shampoo altogether. The first few days, my hair was a little greasy, but after about a week (week and a half?) my hair is starting to feel okay. The sites that I was looking at seemed to say that shampoo gets rid of natural oils.

Heres are some of the websites that I was looking at, just from doing a Google search:
http://fondalashay.com/mintchilli/i-do-not-wash-my-hair-yes-you-read-that-right
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/hair-washing_n_862854.html

Anyway, I wanted to see what you guys think about this. I will have to see how it goes...

*Off-Topic: Unilever owns Marmite too! :cry:

I haven't washed my hair for over a year.:):bag:

It is only slightly greasy, as it should be...

We didn't evolve(or if you are a creationist: weren't created) to need shampoo.

It would be needed if you were in a dirty environment, maybe in cities though I suppose.

Reactions: Music Platter
I haven't washed my hair for over a year.:):bag:

It is only slightly greasy, as it should be...

We didn't evolve(or if you are a creationist: weren't created) to need shampoo.

It would be needed if you were in a dirty environment, maybe in cities though I suppose.

:)Nice. When you say wash, do you mean using shampoo, or rinsing altogether? And do you have long hair (mine goes past my shoulders) or short?

BTW, (OT) I'm not a creationist, but I'm not really an evolutionist. I kinda think that the world started when I was born.o_O

I have short hair.....it gets wet when it rains.:D

Long hair might need some kind of soap. I think ordinary soap would be good enough.

I just washed my hair today. I previously washed it on Monday. I can't go more than a few days without washing my hair. And yes, I use natural brands such as Kiss My Face. The idea of going any longer than that with dirty hair grosses me out something awful. When my hair is dirty, it smells really bad. :yuck: My scalp itches like crazy. I don't see the need to wash my hair so frequently that the oils wash out (every day or every other day would do that, I suppose), but I do think it's necessary to wash one's hair at least once a week, if not more often.

To the OP: I really think you should reconsider going without shampooing your hair. Reconsider some of the natural brands. (Most of them are cruelty free and also free of animal products.) There should be at least one that is gentle on your hair and won't strip the oils out. Perhaps a natural brand baby shampoo will do the trick. I really believe that if you just go without washing your hair, nobody will want to come near you.

I tried doing the baking soda and vinegar thing and it worked well for awhile, but after a few months my hair was awful. I heard it was because we had hard water, and the minerals in it would just continue to build up on my hair. Now I use Jason's and Trader Joe's Nourish, both are cruelty free. I try to only use them every few days, I know they aren't very good for your hair.

I do a lot of physical stuff that gets me dirty and sweaty, and I can't imagine not washing my hair, just as I can't imagine not using soap when I shower.

I find greasy hair very off putting.

Reactions: thefadedone
From what I have looked at, there is a "break-in" period (that's how it was described) from using shampoo to not using shampoo. I agree: at first, my hair was greasy, but now it is fine. It just doesn't have the smells that shampoos have (it doesn't smell bad either.)

:shrug:

I have not tried that... Do you just rub it into your hair? :???:(Kind of like this smiley, if it had hair)

I don't know I assume so, just ordered some yesterday for the first time, should be here Tuesday. I don't have much hair personally but the Mrs. does so we will see how it works.

I would say that we do need to wash our hair and scalp.

Most people do have a tendancy to wash their hair too often but at least every 2 weeks seems necessary.

I also think that dirty, greasy hairy looks awful.

I tried to stop washing my hair when I first became vegan and I think I lasted a week before I gave in.:p My hair feels gross if I don't wash it every other day but I live in an urban area so maybe it gets dirty more quickly.

I have to use shampoo. If I don't, it gets stiff and breaks a lot easier. It's really long and thick, though - I imagine no shampoo would be fine on very short hair, where the scalp is more accessible. I wash mine about once a week unless it gets really dirty.

As for the 'we weren't evolved for shampoo' argument, there's a lot of things we weren't evolved for that I'd rather not go without ;)

I use Lush shampoos, which are vegan-friendly.

As for the 'we weren't evolved for shampoo' argument, there's a lot of things we weren't evolved for that I'd rather not go without ;)

yes, I know, like clothes in the middle of winter; all I was saying is if someone can't, or doesn't wash their hair, then most people's hair will cope just fine(maybe after a period of adjustment).

I have used Lush bar soaps snd I love them! :)

The closest I have come to not shampooing is using the very low sudsing kind every two days or so. But I would need to rinse with plain water in between shampoos anyway. I also get itchy scalp.

Music, if not shampooing is working for you, I say keep at it until the time comes when isn't working so much anymore. :)

I don't know I assume so, just ordered some yesterday for the first time, should be here Tuesday. I don't have much hair personally but the Mrs. does so we will see how it works.

I used to use Chagrin Valley's bar shampoo and I really liked them. I may have to start ordering them again. The best way to use it is to wet the bar and rub with your hand a bit to get it to start foaming up, then rub it on your hair. Make sure you leave it somewhere dry when you're done, if you leave it sitting in a puddle of water, it'll soften and melt.

I'm an overwasher. I have to wash and shampoo my hair every single day or else I feel gross. It may not be good for my hair to wash it so often, but my hair and scalp feel greasy, dirty, and itchy if I don't wash it. I also use a lot of product in my hair. It's also really thick and tends to absorb smells really easily.

But I think you should do whatever your comfortable with. If not 'pooing is working for you then go for it.:up: