Do Not Buy Nutro Brand Pet Food

Reading some of those stories. That's just horrible. :( I think I fed my cats Nutro a long time ago, but haven't bought it in years. I certainly won't now.

Amazing!

You woulda thought that a business that makes it's profit from killing vast numbers of animals would be more carefull not to kill the few animals it makes it profits from.

Animal lovers should indeed boycott this product and switch to buying product from a company that kills vast numbers of animals, which animal lovers don't give a **** about, with a bit more regard for the wellbeing of the few animals that animal lovers do actualy give a **** about.

Some might say that someone who owns a cat from before when the penny dropped shouldn't say stuff like that.

Apologies but it appeases my legacy cat owning conscience.

Last edited:
Amazing!

You woulda thought that a business that makes it's profit from killing vast numbers of animals would be more carefull not to kill the few animals it makes it profits from.

Animal lovers should indeed boycott this product and switch to buying product from a company that kills vast numbers of animals, which animal lovers don't give a **** about, with a bit more regard for the wellbeing of the few animals that animal lovers do actualy give a **** about.

Some might say that someone who owns a cat from before when the penny dropped shouldn't say stuff like that.

Apologies but it appeases my legacy cat owning conscience.

If you'd like to discuss this, then perhaps it would be best to go to the thread that already exists rather than bring your moral gripes up in a thread that acts as a warning rather than a playground for the discussion of background ethics.

Reactions: Amy SF
I'd like to see the reviews on the consumer affairs website for other brands of pet food, I bet there are similar anecdotes. Switching your pet's food too quickly (which a few of the reviews reported) can cause gi distress in many pets with any brand. Seems like those sites are full of people who want to be mad at Nutro for their pets' unrelated health problems.

Reactions: Wolfie
Yep, Consumer Affairs is not exactly reliable. You will find horror stories on just about every pet food there is, from store brand crap to premium brands.

Yep, Consumer Affairs is not exactly reliable. You will find horror stories on just about every pet food there is, from store brand crap to premium brands.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html The Horrors of Blue Buffalo pet food

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html The Horrors of Purina pet food

Should we trust or shun Hill's (AKA Hill's Science Diet)? Consumer affairs has many different opinions on the same brand (it has two separate listings for Hills for whatever reason)
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/hills.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/science_diet.html

Oh, this is too good, an Edit to Add (from the highly reputable Consumer Affairs website, of course!
Took my dog for a check up. Changed her food to Science Diet. Several months later, she passed away from cancer.

:brood: I don't think the food gave her cancer (in a matter of months!), dude.

Last edited:
When I first came across reviews for the brand I use, I admit I kind of panicked. Then I realized there's not a brand out there that's good, according to Consumer Affairs. They will all kill your dog. And nearly all of them "must have just recently changed their formula" to poison.

Reactions: Scorpius
I think it's always good to raise awareness on something. People can then do further research and make decisions for themselves. :)

Reactions: thefadedone
Okay, I get the point. Sorry for trying.

That wasn't directed at you. Just the yahoos who write those responses. Like I said, when I first read a review for my dogs' food I was panicked. Then I was looking around for a brand to switch to and saw similar reviews for nearly all of them. :)

That wasn't directed at you. Just the yahoos who write those responses. Like I said, when I first read a review for my dogs' food I was panicked. Then I was looking around for a brand to switch to and saw similar reviews for nearly all of them. :)

Okay, I get the point now. Thanks.

:p

I've switched brands about three times now in the past few years because of recalls. Originally I was giving my dog Wellness, but then that got recalled so I switched to Evo until that got recalled. Now I'm feeding her Halo which has had no recalls and seems to have a good rating.

Recalls freak me out. It sucks that almost all brands have had some sort of recall, but even one recall is enough to scare the hell out of me.