Disagree button in more forums?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Currently, the disagree button is only available in the General Discussion forum. Should we make it available in other forums as well?

I personally think it would be a nice option to have.

I'd like that! I don't always feel right about commenting, but I would like to disagree. I'd like to know when others disagree with mine

I like having an agree button, but I'm not particularly enamored with disagree buttons. If I disagree strongly enough with something to note disagreement, I prefer to state my reasons. Just doing a flyby hit of a disagree button just strikes me as passive aggressiveness somehow.

Maybe that's my own idiosyncracy, that preference to know why someone disagrees with me.

Sometimes i want to express an opinion simply without needing explanation or debate.
Like if someone says they like a Fiat 500 I could just hit 'dislike' without being all in their face
I don't know, but I've often wanted it

Just doing a flyby hit of a disagree button just strikes me as passive aggressiveness somehow.

I would "disagree" with that post, but I'm missing the button :D.

I personally find the "disagree" button makes sense, although I personally have not used it a lot.
I don't mind people disagreeing with my posts and doing so by hitting a button. Actually I find that informative and interesting.

I was one of those originally arguing for adding the "disagree" button, and I do not think it has so far unduly negatively affected the "General Discussions" forum.

I'm thinking a generally available disagree button could give VV the edge over all those other boards :) Or at least it would be something you wouldn't find that many other places on the Internet. I can see how initially a person might not appreciate being hit with 'disagree', but I think (hope) it would feel much less like a big deal after a little while. Also, if someone 'disagrees' you, you have the option to revenge-disagree them right back on something they have posted. Which of course would be childish, but the option is there. Or you could decide to take the high road, and feel better about yourself and your mature attitude.

:up:
I look at having agree/disagree buttons more like a mini poll!
I agree to disagree!

I try not to use the disagree button and I think I have only used the disagree button twice on here, both towards Indian Summer, as I recall.:oops::D

I felt really immature clicking on it, obviously not immature enough to have stopped me from doing it, lol.:rofl:

I look at having agree/disagree buttons more like a mini poll!
I agree to disagree!

I agree, that might be a good idea .... however .... the very notion that we are discussing about whether or not to implement a "disagree" button (instead of just implementing it and seeing how it worked) suggests that if a single person does not agree with the idea and feels threatened by it, we would still have to ponder whether a majority vote is enough to implement it...

Ohhh - not only can we disagree but we can revenge disagree! I can see it now, VV is going to become the battleground of the peaceful people!

Being the fence-sitter that I am, haha, I guess I kind of get the passive agressive thing, now. So I can see see both sides...I agree that a disagree button would be cool and I also agree that it could cause a problem. I probably wouldn't use it for any type of heavy discussion...maybe just for the I like cilantro/brussel sprouts/Amazon.com kind of stuff.

Reactions: Mischief and Poppy
I do see the value of a "disagree" button just the same as the "agree" button ... true, it is possible to post in a thread with an agreeing (or disagreeing) message replying to an earlier message (and it definitely is the better way to contribute something meaningful to the discussion), but seeing the little icons tells you at one glance whether other users considered that specific post especially noteworthy (or objectionable, in the "General Discussion" forum).

I felt really immature clicking on it, obviously not immature enough to have stopped me from doing it, lol.:rofl:

Same here. I've used it once that I remember for sure, perhaps twice, and it was in response to a post by someone who had done the flyby disagree on a couple of my posts. I too felt immature.

Thinking about it, I haven't noticed the disagree button being used a lot here. I participate in another forum that's focused on a hobby, and the disagree button on that forum gets a lot of usage, in ways that I find baffling. For example, someone will post a free pattern for general usage, and it will get as many disagrees as likes. I find that extremely rude, both to the person who posted the link so that others could see the pattern, and the person who went to the trouble of making the pattern, writing it down, and offering it to anyone interested. Likewise, there's one thread over there focused on politics, and someone takes the trouble to "disagree" with every single post, even offhand comments not related to politics.

I would hate to see that sort of thing happen here, but maybe it won't, based on how little usage the disagree button has gotten to date.

Reactions: Poppy