Dietary supplements and protein

Hi there,
I am in the process of very very slowly transitioning towards a vegan / WFPB lifestyle, mainly after reading Dr. T Colin Campbell´s books The China Study & Whole (I recommend both as required reading by the way).

And putting aside the argument of whether supplements work or not, the (philosophical ?) question I have is

Do Genetically Modified foods contain the same quality of nutrients (i.e. Vitamins A,B,C etc etc) ?

Hi there,
I am in the process of very very slowly transitioning towards a vegan / WFPB lifestyle, mainly after reading Dr. T Colin Campbell´s books The China Study & Whole (I recommend both as required reading by the way).

And putting aside the argument of whether supplements work or not, the (philosophical ?) question I have is

Do Genetically Modified foods contain the same quality of nutrients (i.e. Vitamins A,B,C etc etc) ?

Hi finner,

Per the Non-GMO Project (www.nongmoproject.org), only 7 food crops are commonly genetically-modified. They are alfalfa, canola, corn (except popcorn), papaya, soy, sugar beet, zucchini/summer squash, and potato: High-Risk Crops & Inputs – The Non-GMO Project

In the United States, certified organic (bio / biologique) food crops are not permitted to be GMO. This may be true in Spain, as well.

There can be small differences in the nutrient content of GMO vs. non-GMO foods. The peer-reviewed journal Food Chemistry published this report on the comparative nutrient profiles of GMO and non-GMO soybeans (reprinted by farmfandranchfreedom.org): http://farmandranchfreedom.org/wp-c...te-accumulates-roundup-ready-gmo-soybeans.pdf . Page 5 of the report shows the nutrient profiles of GM (genetically-modified), Conv. (conventional) and Organic soybeans.

Hi there,

I don't think this is a real issue.
You can check your local/national/ EU laws but i doubt if any GMOs can be found in your grocery store.
Even in America, there are almost no GMOs in the grocery store. Although GMO foods may be used in processed food like foods containing HFCs and some breakfast cereal.

GMO soybean and corn are almost always just used in animal feed.

In America, anything labeled organic is NOT a GMO. I think the law in the EU is the same if not stronger.

In the grocery store, I think only potatoes are probably GMO.

I think in Europe GMO foods need to be labeled as such.

I don't think this is a real issue.
You can check your local/national/ EU laws but i doubt if any GMOs can be found in your grocery store.
Even in America, there are almost no GMOs in the grocery store. Although GMO foods may be used in processed food like foods containing HFCs and some breakfast cereal.

GMO soybean and corn are almost always just used in animal feed.

In America, anything labeled organic is NOT a GMO. I think the law in the EU is the same if not stronger.

In the grocery store, I think only potatoes are probably GMO.

I think in Europe GMO foods need to be labeled as such.

In the United States, only 7 food crops are commonly genetically modified (reference my earlier post).

Actually, it's not hard to find GMO products at the grocery store. For example, some candy and soda labels include a (voluntary) GMO label, because they contain high fructose corn sweetener made from GMO corn:

1595456717818.png

In the United States, only 7 food crops are commonly genetically modified (reference my earlier post).

Actually, it's not hard to find GMO products at the grocery store. For example, some candy and soda labels include a (voluntary) GMO label, because they contain high fructose corn sweetener made from GMO corn:

Well.... if you are concerned with nutrition, why are you buying candy and soda?

And btw as a nitpicker....

"Currently, there are ten genetically modified crops that have been approved by the US and are available on the market."
- What GMO crops are currently available on the market? | GMO Answers

Reactions: David3
Well.... if you are concerned with nutrition, why are you buying candy and soda?

And btw as a nitpicker....

"Currently, there are ten genetically modified crops that have been approved by the US and are available on the market."
- What GMO crops are currently available on the market? | GMO Answers

Thank you - good update. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) concurs that there are ten GMO crops that have been approved in the U.S. and available on the market: GMO Crops, Animal Food, and Beyond

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
@David3 , @Lou - you guys rock ! I have a lot of reading to do now :)
Thanks very much for the quick and detailed responses !!!

Protein is just a number.

Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Proteen
Nineteen

• Wow
What I read from vegan bodybuilder/fitness types that protein is not a big concern and you don't need too much.

I just drink it for the taste. Been drinking SB Organics coffee flavor, it's delicious. The coffee taste is nice.

Hi Everyone,

First post on here! I am moving from Vegetarianism to becoming a Vegan. I wonder if its common for Vegans to take dietary supplements and vegan protein shakes. Is this something that most of you do?

If so which ones do you take.

I would recommend you use Omega 3 made of algae, it absorbs in the body. Flax seeds does not absorb as well. The best quality and for best price Ive found is from HealthPassionClub.com