Dietary supplements and protein

Increased exposure on healthy, environmentally friendly diets over the past few years have made vegan and vegetarian diets a preferred choice for many. But there are still concerns about whether they provide all the nutrients that our body needs. The conversation on whether to take vegan supplements or not is not a new topic among the vegan community.

Many claim that plant-based diets provide all the nutrients you need, but research has shown that supplementation in certain areas is still recommended for the healthy functioning of our bodies.

Below are 7 nutrients that you may need to supplement with while on a vegan diet.

1. VITAMIN B12
2. VEGAN OMEGA 3
3. VITAMIN D
4. ZINC
5. IODINE
6. CALCIUM
7. IRON

To know why those vitamins are important Please check: What Supplements Should Vegans Take?

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Increased exposure on healthy, environmentally friendly diets over the past few years have made vegan and vegetarian diets a preferred choice for many. But there are still concerns about whether they provide all the nutrients that our body needs. The conversation on whether to take vegan supplements or not is not a new topic among the vegan community.

Many claim that plant-based diets provide all the nutrients you need, but research has shown that supplementation in certain areas is still recommended for the healthy functioning of our bodies.

Below are 7 nutrients that you may need to supplement with while on a vegan diet.

1. VITAMIN B12
2. VEGAN OMEGA 3
3. VITAMIN D
4. ZINC
5. IODINE
6. CALCIUM
7. IRON

To know why those vitamins are important Please check: What Supplements Should Vegans Take?

Let me guess, you sell supplements or are paid to advertise for a supplement manufacturer? Vitamin D one gets from adequate sunlight, and of the rest only B12 is recommended. There are vegan food sources of B12 and we do manufacture it (although the argument goes is that it is not absorbed because it is too far down - eh, God made a boo boo or something) - however Chlorine does kill bacteria that produce B12, so this is likely another reason for B12 supplementation, as most town/city water is chlorinated. Of the rest of the things you listed, all of those are very easily obtained on a vegan diet through a variety of whole foods.

I take a Women's Multivitamin, calcium, magnesium, zinc combo, and a B complex supplement. I enjoy Orgain chocolate protein powder with a frozen banana and peanut butter powder added as I don't eat that healthy some days and need more protein. And it tastes great! It reminds me of a chocolate shake which I haven't had in years!

I enjoy Orgain chocolate protein powder

how is the Orgain? I bought a box of Vega Protein Vanilla and Greens. I'm not that happy with it. One scoop makes the shake undrinkable. Its flavor is ok. it's the texture - sort of chalky.
I've been using just 1/4 scoop (about a tbsp) in my shakes (about 5 g protein).

For chocolate shakes, I usually don't add any protein powder. just pb and a banana. I now buy a carton of Silk Chocolate Almond and Cashew Milk every week. I start off the day with a cup of that heated up. And the end of the day, if I need the calories and/or protein I add 2 tbs of PB and a banana to a cup of that. (450 calories, 20 g protein).

I also make fruit smoothies. Juice and frozen fruits. Then I add 2 tbsp of vega. But I make a 2 cup serving and with about a cup of water. It helps to dilute the Vega. I usually use pineapple juice, frozen mango, and frozen banana. In the winter I'll buy frozen fruit at the grocery store. But in the summer I overbuy fresh fruit and freeze some. I usually have strawberries, blueberries, mangos, and bananas in the freezer.

We have a company called Odwalla ( I think they are only on the West Coast. ) They make a fruit protein smoothie with 20 g of protein - and it tastes great. They use a soy protein isolate. I would like my smoothies to taste that good. I've been buying one or two a week.

For the last several months I have been using Cronometer every day. I have seen that I don't hit 100% of every vitamin and mineral every day so I have added a basic multivitamin 4 times a week. I aslo take an omega 3 ALA and another that is EPA/DHA. Both of those suggest 2 caps a day - but I just do one of each. I also noticed that I almost never hit 100% on Magnesium and Potassium. Potassium is not recommended to supplement because of its toxicity - but I take a Mg supplement - an added 25% a day.

I'm not so sure about Iodine. Cronometer says I don't get enough but I live near the ocean and I think the locally grown fresh fruits and veggies contain iodine that Cronometer doesn't account for. I also may need to supp zinc, too.

Reactions: Val
it might be easier to supplement some vitamins even if you can get them yourself, like if you don’t go outside enough, or it’s rarely sunny outside where you live. Maybe you don’t eat enough of a certain food.

I take B12, D3 (because of testing), Algae dha
No need for others as better sourced by diet

how is the Orgain? I bought a box of Vega Protein Vanilla and Greens. I'm not that happy with it. One scoop makes the shake undrinkable. Its flavor is ok. it's the texture - sort of chalky.
I've been using just 1/4 scoop (about a tbsp) in my shakes (about 5 g protein).

For chocolate shakes, I usually don't add any protein powder. just pb and a banana. I now buy a carton of Silk Chocolate Almond and Cashew Milk every week. I start off the day with a cup of that heated up. And the end of the day, if I need the calories and/or protein I add 2 tbs of PB and a banana to a cup of that. (450 calories, 20 g protein).

I also make fruit smoothies. Juice and frozen fruits. Then I add 2 tbsp of vega. But I make a 2 cup serving and with about a cup of water. It helps to dilute the Vega. I usually use pineapple juice, frozen mango, and frozen banana. In the winter I'll buy frozen fruit at the grocery store. But in the summer I overbuy fresh fruit and freeze some. I usually have strawberries, blueberries, mangos, and bananas in the freezer.

We have a company called Odwalla ( I think they are only on the West Coast. ) They make a fruit protein smoothie with 20 g of protein - and it tastes great. They use a soy protein isolate. I would like my smoothies to taste that good. I've been buying one or two a week.

For the last several months I have been using Cronometer every day. I have seen that I don't hit 100% of every vitamin and mineral every day so I have added a basic multivitamin 4 times a week. I aslo take an omega 3 ALA and another that is EPA/DHA. Both of those suggest 2 caps a day - but I just do one of each. I also noticed that I almost never hit 100% on Magnesium and Potassium. Potassium is not recommended to supplement because of its toxicity - but I take a Mg supplement - an added 25% a day.

I'm not so sure about Iodine. Cronometer says I don't get enough but I live near the ocean and I think the locally grown fresh fruits and veggies contain iodine that Cronometer doesn't account for. I also may need to supp zinc, too.

I like the Orgain Creamy chocolate fudge. Chocolate is the only flavor I like. I have tried several brands and I think I like Orgain the best. The only problem is it is expensive. I always add a frozen banana and most of the time a tablespoon of peanut butter powder. It is not at all chalky which I have found in some other brands. I am making a half of the suggested recipe to cut the calories and make it last longer!

I like the Orgain Creamy chocolate fudge. Chocolate is the only flavor I like. I have tried several brands and I think I like Orgain the best. The only problem is it is expensive. I always add a frozen banana and most of the time a tablespoon of peanut butter powder. It is not at all chalky which I have found in some other brands. I am making a half of the suggested recipe to cut the calories and make it last longer!

Have you ever tried the Vanilla bean?

I use chocolate-flavored plant milk for my chocolate/banana/ PB smoothies. I also make fruit smoothies. don't think chocolate would work for those. :)
And it's the fruit smoothies that could use some protein.

I use chocolate-flavored plant milk for my chocolate/banana/ PB smoothies. I also make fruit smoothies. don't think chocolate would work for those. :)
And it's the fruit smoothies that could use some protein.
I put unsweetened cocoa in my chocolate/banana/pb smoothies. :) And a dash of maple syrup. :D

Reactions: Chryssie
Let no one deceive you that a vegan diet is insufficient when it comes to particular nutrients. That's propaganda by non-vegans to disappoint vegans and supplement manufactures to make money from "wishy-washy" vegans. As long as you eat lots of fruits and veggies and diversify your vegan meals, you won't be nutrient deficient.

The problem with most vegans is that they avoid meat and dairy to eat lots of fries and pasta which are not nutrient-dense. For instance, people claim that a vegan diet is low in calcium but dark leafy greens like spinach are packed with calcium.

The only supplement I would recommend is Vitamin D if you are a vegan living in an area that receives very little sunshine like Alaska. Since I became vegan, I have not used any supplement and I am doing all right health-wise.

Let no one deceive you that a vegan diet is insufficient when it comes to particular nutrients. That's propaganda by non-vegans to disappoint vegans and supplement manufactures to make money from "wishy-washy" vegans. As long as you eat lots of fruits and veggies and diversify your vegan meals, you won't be nutrient deficient.

The problem with most vegans is that they avoid meat and dairy to eat lots of fries and pasta which are not nutrient-dense. For instance, people claim that a vegan diet is low in calcium but dark leafy greens like spinach are packed with calcium.

The only supplement I would recommend is Vitamin D if you are a vegan living in an area that receives very little sunshine like Alaska. Since I became vegan, I have not used any supplement and I am doing all right health-wise.
B12. Please take B12!

Edde, please, you need to educate yourself before posting. Spinach is a poor source of calcium. Good sources of calcium are kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, and collard greens. Please see this article from the Vegetarian Resource Group, written by Registered Dietitian Reed Mangels: Calcium in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Reactions: PTree15
Edde, please, you need to educate yourself before posting. Spinach is a poor source of calcium. Good sources of calcium are kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, and collard greens. Please see this article from the Vegetarian Resource Group, written by Registered Dietitian Reed Mangels: Calcium in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group
Spinach itself is calcium rich. It's the oxalic acid in it that reduces calcium absorption. But vegans should avoid Calcium supplements anyway. That was my point.

Reactions: silva
When I was 100% Vegan I supplemented with Creatine, Beta-Alanine and Taurine.

It's also recommended to take Amino Acid supplements if into physique development. American Vegan bodybuilders use DHEA which is a controlled substance in Canada and require doctor supervision.

As far as vitamins are concerned most Vegan processed food and bev's are fortified with B12 etc.