Dietary supplements and protein

Davross

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi Everyone,

First post on here! I am moving from Vegetarianism to becoming a Vegan. I wonder if its common for Vegans to take dietary supplements and vegan protein shakes. Is this something that most of you do?

If so which ones do you take.

I take a multi, an omega 3, and B12.

I don't buy store-bought vegan protein shakes. I do have some protein powder at home for days I miss a meal but it tastes so awful I rarely use it.

I make my own smoothies with soymilk, bananas, flaxseed, and PB.

Pretty much if you are careful with your diet you may not need to supplement anything.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
I take a multi, an omega 3, and B12.

I don't buy store-bought vegan protein shakes. I do have some protein powder at home for days I miss a meal but it tastes so awful I rarely use it.

I make my own smoothies with soymilk, bananas, flaxseed, and PB.

Pretty much if you are careful with your diet you may not need to supplement anything.
Thanks Lou. That makes sense those are the suppliements that I see keep coming up. How come you take a B12 and a multivit, does the multi vit not have the B12 in it?

Your right though I am drinking a Vegan protein shake right now and its gross unfortunately! I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks Lou. That makes sense those are the suppliements that I see keep coming up. How come you take a B12 and a multivit, does the multi vit not have the B12 in it?

You're right though I am drinking a Vegan protein shake right now and its gross unfortunately! I'm sure there are better ones out there.

That's a good question. the multi that i take has something 100% of the RDA of B12, but from what I learned - you can't absorb that much B12 all at once. I do drink B12 fortified soymilk and on days that I have the multi AND two glasses of soymilk I'm good to go. on the other days, I take a timed released B12 pill. both the multi and the B12 are pretty cheap, too.

It could be a belt and suspenders kind of thing. but since the pills are cheap and B12 can be stored in the body or if it is in excess excreted, there is no downside.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've never taken any protein supplement ever.

I do supplement with a small multi vitamin which is promoted by the Vegan Society here in the UK - it's called Veg1.

I also take a zink supplement because it seems to help my immune system keep the colds and similar illnesses away, or at least seems to make them shorter or less severe.

Any male vegetarians or vegans I know have veg protein on hand. I think men in particular, due to height, desire to have muscle, or just sexist stereotypes, are more likely to be in possession of protein supplements.

I literally never take protein powders unless I am on hard, cold, multi day hikes in the wilderness. I have a small amount of vegan protein powder rotting in my cabinet right now because I decided I hate winter roughing it so I just don't use it.

I've never lost weight easily though. I enjoy food and eating and that didn't change because I became vegan. Despite my activity level, going vegan only lead to minor weight loss. It didn't make me ultra thin or twiggy. Just healthier.

So ....if you lose weight easily or have a small appetite? If you're an athlete or a body builder?

I don't supplement with protein powders because I get enough from food. In addition to b12 I've also started taking chlorella/spirulina tablets and chlorophyll drops. My energy has been awesome. We went hiking in the mountains 4 times last week for 2 to 2.5 hours each trip. I would have some lentil pasta when I get home and no soreness.

Reactions: Lou
You NEED a vitamin B12 supplement. Only animal sources contain vitamin B12 because livestock can make it. Humans cannot make it, so they MUST get it from supplements or food or they can get a deficiency disease.

The yeast spread I use contains B12. I have B12 tablets but as I eat the spread often enough I don't concern myself with them. Other than that I don't take any vitamins or protein powders.

You NEED a vitamin B12 supplement. Only animal sources contain vitamin B12 because livestock can make it. Humans cannot make it, so they MUST get it from supplements or food or they can get a deficiency disease.
I'd like to make a slight correction- animals still need to eat the bacteria b12 in order to make it. Livestock in feedlots get b12 supplemented in their food.

I also take multivitamins with calcium and Vitamin D and the other nutrients I took through the food I eat. I make sure I take all in consideration for my meals. I hope this helps you

I'd like to make a slight correction- animals still need to eat the bacteria b12 in order to make it. Livestock in feedlots get b12 supplemented in their food.

Hmmm... I didn't think that farm animals made B12 themselves, it's just that they eat grass and dirt and so they are eating B12 and it ends up in their muscles or milk which is eaten by humans. Right? Only the bacteria make B12 and I think only in the dirt, not in a farm animal's stomach. Not sure about that. I think the idea is that if we were still drinking from filthy ponds and eating Vegetables dug up out of the ground without washing them we would not need B12 supplements either right? Anyway my B12 levels went way up after I became vegan because of all the B12 in the soy milk and other motherless milk that I consume as well as taking some sublinguals once or twice a week whenever I remember. I think for me it's overkill given how much is in my soy milk.

I've never had protein powder in my life, there's plenty of protein from plants and we don't need as much as the Beef Council says, surprisingly.

Hmmm... I didn't think that farm animals made B12 themselves, it's just that they eat grass and dirt and so they are eating B12 and it ends up in their muscles or milk which is eaten by humans. Right?

Wrong. Cows have B12 producing bacteria in their intestines. It is the bacteria that make B12. They may get the bacteria from the dirt (the bacteria also live in the soil). But they don't get B12 from plants or soil.

Sorry if that came out harsh. But we have covered this before. In fact, even in this thread.

Reactions: silva