Did you family and friends support you being a Vegan?

I would add a few extra options.

Mine would be 'Yes, but they didn't know what to make of it at first and they still find it a bit of a pain when I'm around'. ;)

Same here, I would add a few more options.

My family has widely accepted my veganism, but it still raises issues and vivid discussions.
The main issue now is when they eat a non-vegan product and want me to have some too, because "it is not going to make any difference whether you eat some or not to any animal."

My friends and family are supportive until it puts them out, then I'm just being difficult. My husband knows I'm committed, but most people don't really know what to make of it, and I don't want to make them feel guilty. So I just smile and keep saying no when they try and feed me stuff I don't eat. When eating out recently with my family, my uncle eventually stopped offering me his chicken "because it's nice," and offered me bits of his salad instead which I accepted, so we were both happy. We got there in the end, people like to share.

I am really lucky... my family have been very supportive and just accepting it as a fact. I have agreed to still make family meals when it is my turn..... they do not make fun or challenge my decision and in turn I don't preach or show them shock you tube abattoir videos...

My husband even agreed to 'give tofu a go' (he wont be trying it again) - I have my own shelf in the kitchen cupboards and in the fridge....... nobody touches my kiwis lol

Laura

Whenever I tried to go vegetarian before, my family wouldn't be supportive at all, they would keep waiting around until I gave in and ate meat and then mock me for even trying.
But now I think veganism is more on the spotlight and my family is more educated about it so they seem fine with it. My mom went vegetarian recently, but isn't as fully committed to it as I am to veganism.

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to veganism (just over a month) and I've had a mixed reaction really. It ranges from mocking, the stupid arguments (if we didn't eat animals they would take over the world etc), and genuine curiosity about what I eat. My mum and mum in law don't get it AT ALL though. If I try to discuss it with my mum she gets defensive thinking I'm criticising her diet, which I'm not and when I told my mum in law I'd lost weight she said 'don't you think you should stop now then?' As if I were on a diet and reached my goal weight or something!! Odd xx

My spouse is very supportive of my decision to eventually transition to vegan. She is the only one I really care is supportive or not. My best friend is not very supportive of my decision but honestly, I'm not worried about it. My immediate family live in another state and I don't see them except a few times a year. Coworkers are being kind of annoying but I just ignore them as much as possible.

Hello, everyone.
I've been vegan for 5weeks.
My immediate family are supportive, which is good.
Tbh, I don't care what other people think about it, I know it's the right thing to do.
Going vegan isn't a hard thing to do, just wished there was a big vegan supermarket, so shopping would be easier.

Good luck, people

Going vegan isn't a hard thing to do, just wished there was a big vegan supermarket, so shopping would be easier.

My family is about 50/50 and I do try not to 'preach' too much.

Supermarkets are mostly vegan by default:
  • all produce aisles - fresh fruits and vegetables and herbs
  • frozen aisles - frozen fruits, vegetables
  • bean aisles - canned beans, dried beans, breakfast beans
  • canned fruits and vegetables
  • pasta aisle - most pastas and sauces, noodles,
  • condiments aisle - vinegars, olives, pickles, ketchup, soy sauce, hot sauces, mustard, tahini
  • snack and bulk aisle - nuts, dried fruits, nutritional yeast, various grains, some potato chips
  • cereal aisle - oatmeal, Spoon Size Shredded Wheat, Shredded Wheat etc
  • beverage aisle - sparkling water, herbal teas
  • bakery aisle - sprouted breads, pitas, tortillas
  • dairy aisle - tofu, plant-based milks
I hope this helps a bit. Processed vegan foods are not necessarily healthier than non-vegan, they are animal free.

Emma JC

Morning, Emma.
Thank you, for that info, much appreciated .
I have a vegan cookbook indoors, I'm going to start making meals from fresh ingredients, not that I'm much of a cook ha ha.

Have a nice day, Emma

You are most welcome Shaun

I get most of my ideas for meals from watching YouTube, I prefer ones that don't use added oils.

A couple of my favourites, that have "what I eat in a day" are:

High Carb Hannah - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rawkaholics
Maddie Lymburner - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH7fZDHwZR7ww23A50R1ppA

and I do have my own site with a page of recipes and simple meal ideas which I am still working on so feel free to check back for updates now and then http://cooljoy.com/starchivore_plantbased_recipes_meals.html

Emma JC

Hello, Emma.
Thank you , again for that useful info.
I'll have a look at those sites.
Your site looks yummy, do you cook and deliver?
fresh from Canada he he

Reactions: Emma JC
Hello. My sister supported me, and became vegan shortly after i did. She was a vegetarian for 6 years prior. Everyone else did not support me. As for family, we are only in contact with our mom and she tried to slip us meat and eggs in food few times. It came down to us eating only food that can't be tampered with, when visiting her home. My friends were mostly mocking me, and telling same jokes. I came to the conclusion they all Googled "Anti vegan jokes" or something like that. Never got the confirmation, but did shut down the jokes, by asking if they did indeed Google that. My sister friends reacted better, and she did not complain. She is rather aggressive individual tho, and people just don't want to mess with her. After jokes stopped and friends got accustomed to my diet, some of them started giving me a reason why they need to eat animal products, as if they are being judged. It's worth noting that I never judged anyone, and only gave my reasons when asked. One weirdo even called me in the middle of the night, saying he became vegan. Later i found out it means he eats only one meal containing meat, daily...

One thing really bugged me: Everyone blamed veganism for my pale skin and lack of muscles. So much that I figured I am making things even worse for the animals, by being skinny vegan. Now i built myself a solid body, hoping to inspire others, and people are like "You can thrive on a vegan diet because of your blood type. I would die if i tried" -_- Mission failed.

I don't ask for their support nor do I need it. I request that they make no accommodations for my diet and I do my own cooking and I make it perfectly clear that I will eat at any restaurant they choose because I can always find something plant-based on the menu or I have nothing at all. I feel that my choices should not impact their lives. I will BBQ chicken for my family if they ask me to but I will not eat it. People seem surprised that I do not live on salads all the time. I rarely eat salad. I go for protein like beans, or nuts, or tofu. I like vegetables on their own without having them sliced up into a bowl of lettuce. I guess other people's support is irrelevant to me.