Religion Designing our own religion or holy book

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Inspired by Blobbenstein's musings in the other thread, I was thinking it would be interesting to take a look at the various holy books in existence, and see if any parts in them could be reused or recycled into a new holy book more suitable for the new millennium. Although I don't believe in supernatural beings and don't take most of the stories as literal truth, I think many of the stories are still valuable as parables. Besides, the majority of the people on the planet loath atheism, so I was thinking the next best thing would be to give them a revised holy book more suitable for our time.

So what stories would you put in such a book?

I think people just need to learn that Atheists are not horrible people.

Although we could start another religion for the mega-rich celebs. :p

(I will now back away from this thread, as I will have nothing of substance to say.)

Must also include parables on OBEYing and faith. I always thought the story about murdering one's own child because god told you so was a good one.

What stories I would put in the book, and what stories would be a good idea to put in the book, are not necessarily the same.

I like the story about the Princess Lolita, and how she must be paid hommage to by providing plenty of treats and monies for her upkeep. Placed into the hands of her judicious human, of course.

Reactions: Muggle
The camel and the needle quote is definitely a good one. I have yet to hear an adherant of prosperity theology address it.

The David and Goliath story has value, as does the story of the good Samaritan.

Most of the sayings/teachings of Jesus have a lot of value.

The boyfriend and I were recently discussing the idea of creating a religion based on Aesop's fables. Lots of similarities to certain religions. Aesop would be a Jesus figure, as his existence is not entirely certain but many teachings live on in his name. The fables would be the bible, providing stories that would be interpreted as a moral code.

I agree as a Christian alot of athiests are not bad people, I think secular self help books will be good for athiests you don't need to take someone elses religous book and make a mess into it.

The Church of the SubGenius is the only true religion...

subgenius.jpg