Denmark introduces ban on religious slaughter

Good.

I am no fan of excusing the infliction of torture and death because of religious/cultural practices.

Reactions: Wolfie
I'm glad when any measure makes meat eating less cruel but I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I read about this was that Denmark doesn't mind killing giraffes though. :rolleyes:

There is another point of view here from Finn Schwarz, the president of the Jewish Community Centre and he states that the Jewish people usually import their kosher meat anyway so it won't make much difference. Danish 'halal law' changes nothing says imam - Europe - Al Jazeera English

I'm glad when any measure makes meat eating less cruel but I have to admit that the first thing I thought when I read about this was that Denmark doesn't mind killing giraffes though. :rolleyes:

There is another point of view here from Finn Schwarz, the president of the Jewish Community Centre and he states that the Jewish people usually import their kosher meat anyway so it won't make much difference. Danish 'halal law' changes nothing says imam - Europe - Al Jazeera English

I thought the same thing about the giraffes.
Obviously someone is buying it, or they wouldn't be doing it, so it will make at least a small impact.

This part was predictable (from the article in the OP):
Israel’s deputy Minister of Religious Services Rabbi Eli Ben Dahan says the Danish government's edict is anti-Semitic.

He told The Jewish Daily Forward: “European anti-Semitism is showing its true colours across Europe and is even intensifying in the government institutions.”

The Danish ambassador had some things to say about that, though. (See the article.)

From Peta in the article above: "The rest of the world shouldn't feel superior, though: on factory farms, animals are crammed by the thousands into filthy and windowless sheds, wire cages, crates and other confinement systems. The only diet that is open to all religions and truly respects animal rights is a vegan one."

The article also states that since 1998 kosher slaughter involves stunning with a bolt gun first in Denmark, so maybe this will affect the Muslim population there to a greater degree.

" But Danish Jews already agreed in 1998 to the certification as kosher of meat from cattle that were stunned with non-penetrative captive bolt pistols, Schwarz said, adding that the decision was made in consultation with the British Chief Rabbi’s office. The new regulation will not ban the slaughter of animals after stunning with non-penetrative captive bolts, he said."
http://www.jta.org/2014/02/13/news-...l-ritual-slaughter-denmark-jewish-leader-says

Good, but I expect that the EU will over-rule Denmark by claiming that the ban infringes the human rights of Muslims and Jews, whose representatives will - unusually - unify on the matter and appeal to the European Court.

Good, but I expect that the EU will over-rule Denmark by claiming that the ban infringes the human rights of Muslims and Jews, whose representatives will - unusually - unify on the matter and appeal to the European Court.
Well, there are other EU countries that have banned it as well, such as Sweden and Poland. Banned in Sweden since 1937.

I'm not sure how this is an improvement.

Because it reduces the level of pain that will be experienced by an animal when it is slaughtered and means that religious or 'cultural' excuses cannot be used in order to prolong that pain; in the case of halal / kosher, slitting the animal's threat and allowing it to bleed to death so that the meat is 'pure'. On a broader social level it sends out the message that minority ethnic / religious groups should integrate with not segregate themselves from the secular majority.

Whatever makes it easier for them to sleep at night, I suppose.
So their deaths suck a little less. Whoopee. They're still living in filthy, crowded cages, no?
I know you can't expect change over night, but the amount of pussy footing pisses me off sometimes.

So their deaths suck a little less. Whoopee. They're still living in filthy, crowded cages, no?
It's not an either/or, that issue needs addressing as well. We could insist on unworkable state-enforced veganism; or pragmatically make things slightly less bad for the animals that are reared and slaughtered for food.