December Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
... But don't forget to enjoy Christmas time treats. ;)

Walked to town, around town and then back yesterday... I never walk anywhere so at least that was something! Will do a quick 15 minute work out this morning (nothing strenuous) & yoga is booked for tomorrow morning.

Boooooo to challenges. I prefer things to be easy. :p

Day four in a row of less than 5 hours sleep per night. Fibro is raging. My muscles feel like they are on fire.

But I say, curses to you!, fibro. I’m going to bundle up and go for a walk this morning, regardless. I don’t care if I only get halfway through. And I’m going to eat well this weekend. I have Monday off so I will go shopping today so that I have healthy choices for meals and snack. :)

Day four in a row of less than 5 hours sleep per night. Fibro is raging. My muscles feel like they are on fire.

But I say, curses to you!, fibro. I’m going to bundle up and go for a walk this morning, regardless. I don’t care if I only get halfway through. And I’m going to eat well this weekend. I have Monday off so I will go shopping today so that I have healthy choices for meals and snack. :)

Ok, so that plan went to Hell. :lol:

I went to visit oldest daughter and I went to see how her Whole Foods is like compared to mine. Well, it was way better! They had a vegan cheese pizza! I mean, real pizza looking pizza! My WF puts vegetables on a frat with no cheese and calls it pizza. This one looked just like pizzeria pizza but with vegan cheese. I had to get s slice. It was amazing! They had a ton of vegan options in the deli case. I also got a cucumber/avocado roll with peanut sauce. I passed up on everything else, like the vegan baked goods/cafe indigo cakes, so I guess I wasn’t that bad. But I was hoping to do a little better than that. But yum, was it good!

Oh yeah, I bought two bags of Earth Balance cheese puffs and skinny pop but I’m not going to have any today.

Ok, so that plan went to Hell. :lol:

I went to visit oldest daughter and I went to see how her Whole Foods is like compared to mine. Well, it was way better! They had a vegan cheese pizza! I mean, real pizza looking pizza! My WF puts vegetables on a frat with no cheese and calls it pizza. This one looked just like pizzeria pizza but with vegan cheese. I had to get s slice. It was amazing! They had a ton of vegan options in the deli case. I also got a cucumber/avocado roll with peanut sauce. I passed up on everything else, like the vegan baked goods/cafe indigo cakes, so I guess I wasn’t that bad. But I was hoping to do a little better than that. But yum, was it good!

Oh yeah, I bought two bags of Earth Balance cheese puffs and skinny pop but I’m not going to have any today.

I'm not keen on vegetable pizza and only like the margarita style with lots of vegan cheese and tomato passata. The only way that I can eat one is to make it myself.

I've been to quite a few WF stores and they can be so different depending on the size and location. In the one that I visited in Claremont, it was fairly small but surprisingly, they had quite a large selection of plant based food including Violife and Beyond Meat.

Moreover, I was thrilled to see that they sold individual portions of vegan (it was chocolat cake however) brownies for 1 $ a piece. They were sickly sweet but nevertheless I did buy one every time I went there as it was such a treat despite them not being real brownies.:p

I actually prefer pizza without cheese, so long as the toppings are flavorful. I used to just make my own and saute the veggies with tons of garlic and olive oil. And a good sauce makes a big difference. I'll admit that I do like goat cheese on a pizza, but of course it's impossible to find a vegan version of it. I guess it'll be awhile before someone figures out how to replicate that flavor.

So I managed to work out twice this week. I did upper body on Tuesday and lower body on Wednesday.

I'm taking today off, then either Friday or Saturday I'll go back to do upper body again. I haven't quite worked myself up to visiting the gym 3x a week. I also might possibly go to yoga tonight. It's been a while since I've gone to a yoga class.

My other goal is to try and make Omega-3 balls. You know those peanut butter protein balls that are popular? I want to make Omega-3 balls for those of us who don't eat fish. I think that non-vegetarians would want to try them, too. I haven't even looked up a recipe... gonna make up my own recipe and cross my fingers that it tastes good.

Reactions: Val
We have a good WF here, and it does have amazing vegan pizza. Fortunately/Unfortunately both the WF and the Trader Joes are about 20 minutes away , so I rarely go since there are so many decent other options close by. Still. They both have great things.

Since my mother broke her arm last month, there won't be vegan Chex Mix this year. That's about three pounds I won't have to battle since I tend to overdo it on the Chex Mix over the holidays! :p

I'm still trying to walk every day, with limited success. I get wimpy with the cold weather. I've moved my walks to early afternoon to try to keep warm, and I suppose that's a pretty good plan - but it's easy to have other things get in the way and my motivation isn't as good as it is in the morning.

My weight hasn't budged since October 1. I still envision losing 6 to 7 more pounds, but I'm not sure thats going to happen in the winter, unless I decide to go to the gym :)eek:). Oh well!

Since my job layoff, I have been a bit scattered with exercise. I'm trying to establish a routine to get back in the swing of things. Today, I walked 4 miles, which was great. I went to a grocery store and bought a few things to carry in my backpack. I carried about 8 pounds on my back, which felt like hiking, so that was cool. The skies are beautiful today even though it's chilly. I just wear my hiking gear (wicking shirts and hiking socks) to keep warm. It was a lovely walk!

I added a few more exercises to my routine last night. I plan to go in at least one more time this week.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I’m failing other than doing my yoga and stretches. I’m too exhausted to walk in the morning as I’m in a really bad sleeping cycle. I still have considerable pain but it comes and goes. It’s too dark so by the time the sun comes up I don’t have time to walk before work. And it’s been really cold. I hate thinking this is it until April but it’s usually how it goes. So I’m going to try something different.

I saw an article on Facebook, about exercising for the elderly, and I book marked it. This was one of the suggestions...
832ABABC-6588-4D7A-A1B6-45DF9317AF2B.jpeg

Reactions: Poppy
Actually, I am mistaken, it was an article on helping your brain/memory. Apparently, I need to start right away because I couldn’t remember the point of the article, lol.

Two more tips:

155C2CA9-F2C2-4E9A-BB25-F94821B2104C.jpeg 7D39B130-E302-46C3-8ED8-011499251709.jpeg

One of my friends invited me to work out with her at her apartment complex's gym. So I did 50 minutes on the treadmill, and it felt soooo good. I really miss the gym, especially in the cold weather. I prefer to walk outside for exercise, but sometimes I'm a wimp in the cold. :D The treadmill is one of my favorite pieces of gym machinery. I think someday I will get one and set it up in the basement. I have plenty of room down there.

I've done the treadmill and weights this week (including today). I did lots of upper body work and some leg work. I warmed up by doing a fast mile on the treadmill. I so appreciate my friend letting me work out at her gym. I'm doing a video tomorrow. The weather is icky and will be bad through tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Katrina and Val
I am managing about 40 minutes of yoga most days, but I haven't walked as much as I would like for the past two weeks. But, despite the Chex Mix overload, I haven't gained any weight so far this holiday season, so yay. :)

I’m gaining ever so slowly but steadily.

However, the numbers aren’t horrible. Of the original 32 pounds that I lost, back in 2014, I had gained back 12 this past January. I lost ten of that and kept it off until August. So the six I put back on between August and now still has me at 26 pounds lighter from 2014. I can’t really complain about that.

I’m not getting the exercise I should though. I just can’t do it while working full time and not sleeping at night. The Benadryl I took last night did help me get 7 hours, however, the effects linger way too long and despite getting out of work at 2:30, I fell asleep when I got home and slept almost two hours. It’s bizarre how sensitive I am to medication. I only took two teaspoons of children’s Benadryl at 7:30 last night. I can’t seem to win with regard to this.

I’m going to make a prediction though...I bet I sleep good tonight even though I napped. I seem to do better, the more sleep I get, the better I sleep. This will be good because I have a busy schedule the next four days. I’ll report back and let you know how it turns out, haha. :)

I didn't go back to the gym last week. Haha. I should stop saying what I'm "going to" do.

I did manage to put in an upper body workout last night. Today I walked over to a shopping strip that I would normally get a ride to. It's the length of walk I used to do all the time without thinking twice about it. I am definitely spoiled with H offering to drive me places. Aaand I'm not saying it's his fault or anything, but I think it has contributed to my weight gain.

My new goal is to go for walks more often, so long as it's not too cold outside.

Should be able to fit in a few little workouts over the Christmas break. When I have time off, it easy. When working, I come home & barely have energy to make dinner & shower!

Still haven't managed to go swimming but I think in the new year I'll have more weekends free to do so - it's so busy coming up to Christmas there's no time to do it.

Have been going to yoga every Sunday though & really enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.