Debate & Current Events forum is now opt-in

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The Debate & Current Events forum is now opt-in, meaning you will have to specifically join the user group "Debate & Current Events" in order to see and post in the forum. Joining the user group implies you also agree to follow the special forum rules and etiquette that are found in a thread stickied inside that forum.

You need to have made at least 10 posts before your request to join the forum will be approved. In order to request to join the user group, please either just click this link, tick the correct box and click save, or click the link from you user panel:
join_user_groups.jpeg

Unregistered and logged out users can still read the forum as before.

beancounter, being the forum mod for Debate & Current Event, is in charge of approving join requests, although I'll be helping with the approving initially since presumably there will be a lot of join requests right now.

Are you going to post a list of people who have joined? That might be helpful in assisting people to decide whether they too want to join.

Also, I can't find it now, but I thought there was a post that showed who had joined the other opt-in subforums. If there still is, you can remove me from them, as I have left them.

I would hope that the people who wanted all of these changes in the Debate & Current Events forum continue to participate in the forum now that the changes have been made.

Is there any chance of separating out the in the new thread or have a similar thread in the lounge or something? Because it's not really a debate thread if it is just people posting links to new stories then maybe people replying with their observations about the story but no debates. And maybe a rule in the thread that if anybody wants to start a debate about on of the stories posted then they have to make a thread in the debate forum?

Are you going to post a list of people who have joined? That might be helpful in assisting people to decide whether they too want to join.
No, that's too much work I'm afraid. The good thing about the new system though is that we can remove people from that particular forum (but not necessarily from the entire board) if it becomes clear they don't belong in there.

Also, I can't find it now, but I thought there was a post that showed who had joined the other opt-in subforums. If there still is, you can remove me from them, as I have left them.
There was one post like that for the Sexuality forum. I'll see what I can do.

Is there any chance of separating out the in the new thread or have a similar thread in the lounge or something? Because it's not really a debate thread if it is just people posting links to new stories then maybe people replying with their observations about the story but no debates. And maybe a rule in the thread that if anybody wants to start a debate about on of the stories posted then they have to make a thread in the debate forum?
Yes, I've been wanting to throw that thread out of there for the same reason I moved the "Unpopular opinions" thread out of there.

I'm not a big participator but I want in! :)

In you are. :p

25.jpg

The Debate & Current Events forum is now opt-in, meaning you will have to specifically join the user group "Debate & Current Events" in order to see and post in the forum.

A slight change of plan: Even if you haven't joined the user group, you can now read the forum (but not post or "like" posts). If you definitely don't want to even read the posts, then please use the "Ignored sections list editing" link from your user panel.

Reactions: cornsail
I actually like that better. I was feeling a little discouraged lately from posting threads in the debate forum because I thought it was pointless if only 2 or 3 other people were going to see my threads. With this new plan, if most members see threads or posts that interest them and they want to respond, then they'll have to join the user group. But at least they'll see them. :)